The Party

As it turns out, planning a party is actually a lot harder than me and Damian thought. Sure we had Erika to help us and Barrett and Grey were filled in once we got closer to the date because we needed their help with food and decorations. But overall the burden of getting everyone out of the Home to prepare was draining.

It was the first time in months that I slept two consecutive weeks without having a nightmare, something Taylor noticed and I was unable to explain.

Then the day of the party came round and I have to admit, I almost gave up.

I woke up to Damian bouncing on the end of my bed and singing 'Last Friday night' repetitively.
I groaned and kicked out, effectively knocking him down and bruising my shins, as he landed on them, at the same time, "Damian it is not a Friday, nor is it night! Actually it's only six in the morning!" I moaned checking the clock, "So go back to sleep!"
"Nope. No can do! We have to get up and out before the others wake up! It's time to get the decorations from that shop in town! Remember Erika asked Grey to take us whilst she and Barrett get the others out of the house for the day." Damian was grinning from ear to ear and was already dressed in a band t-shirt, jeans and his old converse.

Reluctantly I got up, slipping on some leggings and one of the oversized tees I had stolen from Damian, I then snuck down the stairs with him to the kitchen where Grey was sat with Erika and Barrett, one of which was bright eyed and ready to go and the other which was asleep against Greys shoulder.
I sniggered when I saw her and Grey winked at me, "She's been up all night making the food for today." He whispered over his friends head, "I love her but she could have waited till today. Are you guys ready to go?"
Both me and Damian nodded, shrugging on our coats and shoes.
Grey looked down at the brunette asleep on his shoulder and sighed, sliding out from beneath her and picking her up effortlessly, "I'll be back in a sec." Then he disappeared up the stairs with a still sleeping Barrett in his arms.

Erika smiled as she watched him go, "I've never met a pair of people who weren't dating who loved each other as much as they do. There isn't anything that man wouldn't do for her and vice versa." The look in her eyes was one of adoration as she turned to us, "You two remind me of them a lot. You know that? You just fit."
I felt my cheeks heat up and saw Damian blush out of the corner of my eye, "Thanks Erika, I don't ever plan on letting this one go!" I said grabbing Damians hand for good measure.
That was when Grey came down the steps, shooting glances in the direction he had just come, "E would you be able to sort the kids, Ashlely and Kate out yourself? I wouldn't ask it's just she's completely out of it."
Erika chuckled, "Of course Grey, I'll let her sleep. Just make sure you wake her up when you get back."
Grey grinned and turned to me and Damian, "Off we go then!" He cheered.

The town was busy for a weekday and I didn't like it, there were too many people out and about even though it was only like half seven in the morning. I gripped Damians hand tightly, using his arm as a shield if anyone got to close to me and shooting Grey a thankful smile as she stood on the other side of me so I was cut off from any strangers.
It was the first time I'd been anywhere outside of the Home and the nearby park in months and I felt overwhelmed just walking down the street. My mum wanted me to go back to school and I couldn't even walk down a street without feeling sick to my stomach.

We got to the party shop without much trouble and began looking around for decorations. It didn't take me and Damian long to get sidetracked, not long at all. As I was walking down one of the isles Damian slipped on a dress up mask of a werewolf and jumped out at me, making me squeal and making Grey burst out laughing like the mature adult he is. After smacking Damian playfully on the arm and removing the mask, we began looking again, coming across the decoration section fairly quickly.

There were loads of different colour streamers and balloons and even confetti, which while I thought was a bad idea, I didn't want to be the one cleaning it up, Grey and Damian both loved so we ended up getting it.
Then we had to decide what coloured streamers to use and what table cloths, Damian said we should get all of them and whilst is wasn't surprised I shot that idea down, not wanting the room to look like a Pride bomb had exploded after we were done decorating, I wasn't sure what everyone's opinions were on the LGBTQ+ community was and I sure as hell wasn't going to find out because someone hated the way we decorated.

Eventually we settled on blue and turquoise to create a sort of under the sea vibe. Once happy we payed and slipped out of the shop with our bags.
My stomach growled obnoxiously and I felt blush rise into my cheeks as my eyes went wide.
Grey chuckled, "How about we got get you two some breakfast yeah?" He asked as we slipped into the back of his car. Both me and Damian nodded earnestly and smiled.

By the time we got back to the Home it was almost lunch time, we had been stuck in traffic for what felt like centuries, and time was running short. Erika had messaged Grey saying that the group would be back at around three so they needed to hurry.
As Grey ran up the stairs to find Barrett, me and Damian began to unpack the decorations, splitting them off into groups of what would go where. The balloons were our first problem because their wasn't a pump so we would just have to blow them up ourselves, something that was extremely time consuming. Once the two adults appeared we got to work.

By the time three rolled around everything was set up, the living room had been appropriately turned into a disco and the dining room was full to the brimming of food and balloons.
I had gotten changed  Into a dress that was black and he little red roses painted, by me, along the edge of it, I had also had Damian curl my hair and Barrett style it so that the top half was pulled back in two small plaits that met at the back of my head. Damian teased me for being girly and then got changed himself, into a white top, black jeans and a leather jacket.

When were heard the voices of the kids and Erika returning we turned all the lights downstairs off and hid behind one of the sofas, making sure that Grey and Barrett were ready.
When the front door opened I heard the chatter fall quiet and had to resist laughing out loud at what we were about to do.
There were mutters from the older kids, I could hear Veronica asking Kate what was going on and Erika giggling as she walked into the living room.
Behind me I heard Grey being to count up to three.
"1
2
3!"
We all lept up and turned the lights on, screaming "SURPRISE!" as the kids jumped and began screaming and shouting as they realised what was happening. Then someone hit the music and the room descended into absolute chaos.

To say I would never forget that night would be an understatement, there would be pictures all over social media come the morning and even more on the Homes website of us having a great time. I never thought I would have been able to laugh as much as I did but hey, that's what life is all about, being pleasantly surprised. It was nice to think that even though all of the kids had problems and all of us were broken in some way, that we could still come together and make something beautiful.