Chapter 32 - We can save him

So it was really true.

As you die, you do see your entire life flash before your eyes.

The moments that made Barry who he was.

His mom getting murdered and his dad going to prison for it. Living with Joe and Iris. Getting struck by lightning and meeting some of his best friends. Confessing his feelings for Iris. Going back in time, but not saving his mother. His mom's death. His dad's death. Eddie's death. Ronnie's death. Cisco's death. Harry's death. Joe's death. Wally's death. Jessie's death. Caitlin's death. Iris' death. It all ended in death for the people around him.

Even Kara almost died.

Maybe death was better for everyone around him.

But who was he if he gave into death? The league of assassins taught that death was weakness. Barry had also saved people before. Thousands of people. But what was that if the people around him, that he cared about had to pay for his heroics.

But he had saved his friends too.

He had saved Cisco and Caitlin from Snart. He had saved Iris from armed robbers. Most of all, he saved Kara. Not with his powers, but with his mind and will.

Barry Allen had to live on.

But how? He was falling to his death at terminal velocity. Nobody could save him. Barry tried with all his will to summon the speed-force in him, but he felt nothing.

He thought about what would happen if he died. Kara and Clark were surely going to find a way to blame themselves for what happened. So would Oliver, if he found out.

Barry brought every positive feeling, every positive thought forward. He thought about the amazing sensation that was running. He slowly felt the lightning that he had grown to love course through his blood, but before he could heroically phase through the ground or create a barrier of wind to soften his lightning and jump out of at the sky in a ball of lightning, he hit the ground with a thud, shattering almost every bone in his body.

The speed-force he recently summoned kept him alive, but Barry knew that it was only a matter of time before his death. Nothing could keep him alive for much longer.

Gideon then turned on next to Barry, running diagnostics. Somehow the AI had survived the crash, it was future technology after all.

"Kara. Clark." Barry whispered silently as it was all his body could muster in the pain. He hoped they would hear him.

In the distance, Kara heard Barry, and listened in to find his heart beating slower than normal. She quickly flew to her cousin, telling him to follow her towards Barry.

"We need to focus on this." Clark said.

"No. Barry's in trouble. Just follow me." Kara said.

When Kara and Clark saw Barry lying on the floor in a pool of blood, they both cursed more than they ever had in their lives.

"Barry?" Kara asked, hoping he was still alive.

"Kara. Don't have much time." Barry groaned.

"No! We can figure out how to save you. Just like you saved me." Kara said.

"Listen to her Barry. We can save you! Don't die!" Clark said.

"No, please listen to me. Gideon checked. Nothing you can do. You need to be happy. Don't fall into the darkness. And thank Oliver. Make sure he doesn't mess it up with Felicity. Promise me." Barry said softly.

"We can save you Barry! Don't think like that." Kara said.

"Promise me." Barry said, knowing he wouldn't make it.