2

Dean

"Hey"A cloud of smoke suddenly invades my vision, making me cough like an old man with heart problems.

"You know I would like to live till I'm 80, not 35"I am used to the smoke and the smell but I would like to live a lot longer and not become blind. His hazel brown eyes peer down into mine with amusement.

"Well we can die together"I roll my eyes.

"Being killed by smoke is not the way I want to die Zayn"

Zayn Malik. The rule breaker, Number one Heartbreaker, Bad boy of Hartlet. The most known guy in the whole school. How did we become best friends? That is the question everyone wants to know. How I, Dean Forington, Fatherless with a depressed Mother, A nobody, befriended a Bad Boy? He was there for me during my lowest points and times I wanted to forget just like any best friend would do. I did the same for him too. If he ever needed me I would be there in a heart beat. It was the pain we both had that brought us together. I know it sounds strange but we knew what pain felt like. He understood me and I understood him. We are different but that does not stop us from being Best friends. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if everything that has happened so far in my life didn't happen. All the pain I went through, gone. Would Zayn and I still be friends? The thought scares me because I cannot imagine him not being a part of my life. He is my drug. If he's not there I feel nothing but pain.

The thought of us being more than friends terrifies me. Our friendship would be no more. I am in no shape to be in a relationship and Zayn is not the guy to commit. One night stands, flings, Hook ups. Whatever you call it. That is who he is when he's not around me. I don't interfere or ask about his one night stands and flings. I found it physically unhealthy and emotionally confusing. He knows how I feel about all the things he does so he knows not to bring it up when we're together.

Smoking and drinking are his bad habbits. I keep telling him to stop and gave him 101 reasons why but he just smiles and shakes his head. Something he always seems to do. It's like a 'you dont understand' gesture. Maybe I dont understand but I know he uses smokes and alcohol to mask his pain. It's unhealthy and it worries me that he relies on those very deadly things.

"So, how do you plan on dying?"He puts his smoke out once he sees I'm starting to walk slightly away from him.

"You don't plan death. Unless you're wanting to die. I want to die somewhere peaceful with hopefully someone I love. As cliché as that sounds."I can feel his eyes on my face, staring intently.

"That seemed planned to me"My eyes stare at him in disbelief.

"How is that planned? That was just an idea, hope, that something like that would happen. How do you plan on dying then?"He laughs at my sassy like attitude.

"I dont really know, never thought about it" He hasn't?

"You haven't?"He nods.

"Death to me is just something that comes unexpectedly. So there's no use thinking about it" He was always negative about most things or what he calls 'telling the truth'. Yes that is true but it doesn't hurt to at least think of it.

"Ok. Enough about death. What's up? I thought you would be with Dolly? Or was it Cathrine?" I tease, nudging his arm while wriggling my eyebrows.

"Well I have this best friend that I thought would appreciate me walking her to school." I can feel my smile widen at his words.

"Well she must be really special for you to wake up this early" My eyes look everywhere but his, trying to hide my already evident smile.

"She is special, especially to me" His words always have a way of making me go red or feel giddy inside.

"And you're special to me too" I say seriously, looking up at his tall frame, meeting his warm eyes. He pulls me into his side with his arm closing in around my shoulder. I feel the pressure of his lips on the side of my temple.

"What would I do without you?" They were not my words.

-