11. The Space Between

ACT ONE, CHAPTER ELEVENThe Space Between

The Space Between

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

     WHEN ANDI OPENED HER EYES, SHE SAW NOTHING. Everything was black and it seemed to go on for miles and miles. In every direction she looked, there was nothing and no one. Suddenly, Matt was standing right in front of her when she turned around. She stepped back but all he did was laugh. He was soaking wet from head to toe and she wondered what happened to him.

     "You weren't kidding when you said you were a witch, but a wicked witch?" he asked. "That's just hilarious."

     "What's going on? What is this place?" Andi questioned while trying not to let Matt see the concern on her face.

     "Nothing and nowhere. You know how people say you see a white light when you die? They lied. There is only darkness," Matt said as he looked around.

     Andi looked around and then at Matt. A horrible thought came to her mind after a few moments of silence but she didn't want it to be true. "Are we dead?" she asked.

     "Well, I am but I'm not so sure about you," Mat replied.

     "What happened to you? Why did you kill all those people?" Andi questioned and the dark haired boy scoffed.

     "They killed me. Isaac's father let the swim team drink that night and then his brother, Camden, threw me into the pool. He completely ignored me when I said I couldn't swim. Everyone was just laughing while I was drowning. And when Lahey pulled me out, he yelled at me, blamed me and told me not to tell anyone so I didn't," he said and Andi sighed.

     "Matt, I'm sorry that happened to you, but the people Jackson killed weren't really murderers," she said as she stepped closer.

     "They murdered me!" Matt yelled.

     "No, they didn't. Murder is premeditated and what happened to you was an accident. What you did to them afterwards was murder," Andi said.

     "I could've died!"

     "Then it would've been manslaughter because it was accidental, but not murder. You were still alive which means they were not murderers. That's why you had the scales," Andi said and Matt looked at her confused.

     "What are you talking about?" he questioned.

     "You wanted the Bestiary so you could find out why you were getting the scales but it never would've helped you. Nature has a delicate balance so there are rules to keep that balance. You already know that the kanima seeks a master and is used to go after murderers. You used Jackson to go after people who never killed anybody. That was the first rule you broke. The second was when you killed one of the victims, Jessica, yourself. You disrupted the balance so the universe was turning you into a kanima to keep the world in balance," Andi explained. "You broke the rules so you paid the price."