雨 - rain

"In this world, bad things happen to good people more often than we'd like to accept it."

"Sho, I'm not a kid."

"Please just listen to what I have to say, (y/n)."

"Sho, you're scaring me."

He shut his eyes, placing his chopsticks down beside his half eaten plate, drawing in a deep breath as he clasped his hands together, lacing his fingers with one another.

"This is a very delicate matter.." He mumbled, "And I'm trying to handle it the right way, please just remember that." He begged, his eyes opening. His darkened pupils looked over my expression with a certain kind of sadness and disgusting kind of pity. I swallowed hard, gripping the edge of the kitchen table a bit harder as a familiar ache in my chest returned as I stared at the tired man, who seemed a bit more exhausted than usual. Almost like whatever he was keeping from me had been wearing him down to the very bone, sucking the life out of him as he stressed over whatever it was. "I love you, (y/n), and I've only ever done anything in ways that I could see would be in your best interest." He said gently, reaching out and placing his hand atop mine. I cringed at the feeling, something I had never done before, but for some reason it felt appropriate this time. I could tell whatever it was he was going to drop on me, would hurt more than anything I had ever felt.

"Shota, please.." I shook my head, retracting away from his touch as the sickening feeling in my stomach couldn't settle. I scrunched my eyebrows together as I desperately wanted to look away from the Erasure Hero, whose gaze was deepening in the worst kind of way. But I couldn't look away, I couldn't peel my eyes off him, watching in complete horror as his lips turned into a darkened frown.

"The day of the siege we searched Overhaul's place low and high for the girl, we found her, but we found other things." He began explaining, standing up as he made his way to the couch, bending down and pulling out his school book bag that was tucked away underneath. Almost like he was hiding it from me. He quickly unzipped it, rummaging around as he spoke, "Specifically a seemingly falsified police report that looked like it had been planted in plain sight for us to find." He pulled out a cream colored manila folder, opening it and thumbing through papers, his eyes looking over the fine print before shutting it once more. "A police report of your mothers death." He looked up at me for a moment, awaiting a reaction out of me. But I was too confused to even begin to comprehend what he was trying to say. Falsified? My mothers death? Why?

"Why would that be there? And why would that be relevant at all, why are you so worried about this?" I stammered, not speaking fast enough to get all my questions out. So what my mothers police report ended up at Overhauls house? It's weird, yes, but not something worthy this kind of talk.

"It's not the report itself, (y/n), it's what it says inside." He clarified, moving towards me and tossing the folder onto the table in front of me. "The phone call earlier was a favor I called in to make sure that the report was real, I wanted to wait to tell you till I knew that much." I stared at the papers that had sprawled across the table face down, too afraid to even touch them as I clenched my hands tightly in my lap. I could feel tears burning my eyes already, feeling something terrible coming on, but being too much of a coward to see for myself.

"What...what does it say, Shota?" I asked, looking back at him, wide eyed and completely afraid. Shota's lips were pulled into the saddest looking expression as he sighed deeply, placing a hand on his forehead with a slight shake.

"The official report says that the fire that killed your mother originated in her bedroom." He said, his tone sticking to its deep and usual sound. My lips trembled as I realized what that meant, as I understood what Shota was trying to say. I stood up abruptly, tripping over the chair a bit and stumbling backwards as I shook my head.