The bonfire

A small boy comes up and clears his throat we look at him untangling ourselves. " uhh fires ready." The little boy says he smiles and then walks away. " he's Chuck." Gally says as we walk over to the fire as the skies are darkening.

Foods out on a table and I grab some and go sit down on a log by myself as Gally goes over with some other builders. Then this boy comes and sits down next to me. " hey Jo, I was the old greenie, names thomas. And may I just say that your gorgeous." He says leaning closer. He has the same vibe as Alby does and I try scooting away. I'm so glad when Newt comes up and tells Thomas to leave me alone. He takes a seat by me trying not to sit to close but I scoot over to him and put my head on his shoulder. He's different, I know I can trust Newt.

He smiles and takes a swig of a drink in his hand. " sorry for being such a downer Newt but what if Alby does it again" I don't even have to say what it is Newt knows. "Jo it's ok, and if he does I'm here. I won't ever let anyone hurt you and if I'm not enough. I know for a fact that Gally is fond of you, you have some effect on him." He gives a slight chuckle " so Jo what did Thomas want?" "He called me beautiful, Newt, what do I look like?
I look at him as he studies me I get lost in his big brown eyes and then he speaks. " well your on the short side especially compared to Gally and I, I would say about 5.2. You look strong and you have some freckles on you cheeks and nose that I think are adorable. You have beautiful blue/grey eyes that look like they can see everything and you have fiery red hair that is so beautiful, it's straight and goes down to a little past your shoulder blades. You look fragile but..." He trailed off as if not certain what to say.

"Jo I've never seen you cry, you've had a lot of reasons to cry since you came here but you haven't." "I don't cry, I don't know why but for some reason I think that if I cry then I've really let it all go and then I'm vulnerable and I guess you could say I have trust issues." I respond, then he continues " you look fragile but you stand like nothing can get in your way, you act like you always have a purpose, it's kinda intimidating the other gladers really"

I smile. I'm tired, and as I snuggle into his shoulder I can almost feel Newt smiling I'm drifting off when I feel a strong arm go on my back. He rubs my back and I know it's Gally I smile a bit. But remain where I am with my eyes still closed. "Well looks like little Jo has had a long day. She better be get to bed. ... Newt where is she sleeping anyway?" "Well unless you want her sleeping with a whole bunch of boys around her, (I could feel Gally's arm tense up) then I guess she'll have to sleep in my room." I feel Gally stand up, and take my hand trying to pull me up with him but I pull it out of his and try to fall back asleep on Newt. I here the two laugh and then Gally leaves, Newt then picks me up bridal style and I wrap my arms around his neck snuggling into his warm chest. As I drift off to sleep with Newt carrying me " come on Love lets get you to bed."