Stress and Drinking

"He's gone?!" Ori was at her feet before L even noticed she was standing. she walked to the door, as if the chief would still be there. Light was staring at the door, dazed. Ori was gripping the doorknob tightly, her knuckles whitening. 

       "He can't be." She said, much too quietly for her to be talking to the rest of them. "He wouldn't do something so stupid. He's not an idiot." She was a statue for a few breathless moments. Still and L couldn't tell if she was breathing or not. Then, in one startling motion, she roughly slammed the door closed. The harsh, metallic sound rattled in L's brain. He rubbed his temples briefly. Ori was giving him more and more headaches with each passing day. 

       "Can we please remain calm? We need to go about this rationally." He said loudly enough for everyone to hear him. Ori was still seething, but she sat down in her seat all the same. Her knee was bouncing erratically, hands folded into a tent against her face. 

       "Chief was like a father to me. If he goes..." She trailed off quietly, only letting L hear her verbal thoughts. He said nothing, he didn't even put a comforting hand on her bouncing knee. This was another occasion where L didn't quite know what to do. He didn't know what would make her angry or uncomfortable. He wasn't even sure if he was comfortable with doing any of those things. L didn't know if Ori acknowledged his internal struggle or not, but if she did, she showed no signs of knowing. 

       How could things go so bad so quickly? I can barely wrap my head around what's happening. L sucked in a deep and slow breath to calm his nerves. He had to follow his own words and relax. He had to think of a plan before Yagami got to the news station. 

       "Watari," he pressed on the intercom button.

       "Here, sir." Came the grainy voice. 

       "I have a plan. I need you to call the Japanese police department and get them to Sakura News station as fast as they can."

       "Yes, sir. I'll call them immediately." And just like that, Watari was gone, and they were all left in silence and the hope that Yagami would survive tonight.

       The silence is too much. Too loud. Too heavy as it fell over them like a storm cloud. The air was stuffy, and those who were too restless to sit in their seats, jumped out and paced the room, which only made everyone else more nervous. There was only one person pacing. It was Ori and she was only adding to the thick, nervous energy. 

       "Hey! I see something." Matsuda said facing the monitors. Ori whirled around so fast L thought he had gotten second-hand whiplash. In a flash, Ori was next to him, staring intently at the screen. It was a man running through the shattered and open doors of the front lobby. More men were dead. They were all security guards, and it only assured L that this Kira 2 wasn't the real one. Kira was adamant about killing criminals and criminals only. Kira 2 was going after anyone in their way. 

       "That's gotta be Chief." Ori said firmly. He had a coat covering his face, but it was clear. Yagami stopped at Ide's corpse. At first it looked like he was paying his respect, but L saw Yagami pull Ide's gun and wallet from his holster and pocket. 

       "Where's the police force?" Ori demanded. "Why aren't they here yet?" She was gripping the leather padding of the chair seat so hard, L could see that she had actually ripped small holes in the material. 

       "They're on their way." Came Watari's grainy voice. "Just a few more minutes." Ori jumped from her seat again. 

       "I need a drink." Everyone but Light whipped around to face Ori, but she was already half-way across the room.

       "What?! You're in front of three police officers and a detective and Light! You can't just admit that kind of stuff!" Matsuda cried. Ori ignored him, and when Mogi stood to go after her, Light spoke up.

       "Just wait. It's not what you think." 

       "Yeah, she's going to get drunk before she comes back." L said dryly. Light just rolled his eyes and watched the screen. Yagami still had yet to emerge from the doorway, and the Police Station hadn't arrived yet, but they were close according to Watari. L couldn't stop the nerves that shot through his veins or the ferocious pounding of his heart. He ignored the feelings as best he could, but they were constantly pressing against his chest. They squeezed his heart, twisting it and pulling it from the confines of his chest. He couldn't be the only one feeling this way, could he? That's why Ori had walked away. It's why Light looked terrified for the safety of his father. He wasn't alone in this feeling. 

       So why did it feel like he was?

       When Ori came back, the police station had parked outside the station and surrounded the place. There was no possible way Kira 2 would see Yagami. 

       Ori plopped down next to L, a large bottle in her hands. When he looked, it was a two-liter bottle of Mtn Dew. No cup, just the bottle. She unscrewed the top and began to drink it. 

       "When you die at the age of twenty-five, I'll tell everyone this is how you died." Light said. 

       "Beats being killed by Kira. This way, I'll know the actual identity of my killer."

       "That's... very dark," Matsuda said. Ori just shrugged and took another swig. 

       "Hold on." Aizawa squinted at one of the screens, looming over Ori.

       "Personal space, dude." She grumbled, but Aizawa paid her no attention. Aizawa just continued to glare at the screen like it had personally offended him. Swiftly, he pulled back and turned to face L.

       "There's the chief." He pointed wildly to the screen, not actually gesturing to Yagami. When L did see him, Yagami had a blacked-out helmet over his face and he was surrounded by police members. L hadn't even noticed they had walked inside. 

       "What's that in his hand?" Ori asked. They all looked closer again and saw the familiar small black rectangle in his hand. 

       "He got the tape." Light whispered. "He got the tape." His voice was louder now, more cheerful. Ori capped her Mtn Dew and set it on the table. She pressed the intercom button, pushing L aside when he told her to get off. 

       "Watari, bake some cakes because we're gonna fuckin' celebrate!" Watari's laugh was cackling through the radio. 

       "All right, but you'll have to tell me what kind you want," Ori smirked at his tone and pulled back a little, her finger still pressed on the intercom. 

       "Raito, get me a pad of paper and a pen. We're making a whole ass list." She glanced at Light, who just sighed and nodded before exiting the room. She turned to face L, a wide smirk on her face. "I'll be sure to help you out, Watari. I got a cake that L needs to try." A mischievous glint in her eyes.

       "Why do I feel like my life's in danger?"

                                                                      <>       <>       <>

       I wrote this in TWO DAYS!! I'm like a machine. Either that or I'm introverted, which is definitely true. Anyway, this chapter is done, the next one will be a little more filler, and everyone's least favorite blond will be making her first appearance. How will Ori react? I'm not sure. Will she like this dumb blond? Probably not. But who knows? Me. Some stuff. I'm just writing whatever feels right. I'm just as lost as you are; if not, more. Your questions, and mine, will all be answered next time. Until then...
       Doragon-Chan is Out!
       "We may have all come on different ships but we're in the same boat now."
       -Martin Luther King Jr.