Trust the Shinigami

Ori really wanted to immediately jump into the plan, but there were a few problems. One, there was no plan; two, Ori had to make sure that Misa's safety seemed like their top priority. Ori was about to be pulling a lot of ideas out of her ass. 

       "I think the first step is to keep Misa oblivious about the whole thing." L said. Ori almost collapsed with the relief she felt. 

       Oh my god, I didn't have to talk first, holy shit. 

       "Exactly," Ori said like she had this in mind the whole time. "If we keep Misa's memory of the Death Note away from her, then she can't be convicted; none of the evidence points to Misa."

       "But none of the evidence points to Light either." Said Rem. "Aside from the Death Note and his confession, which he has now gone back on because of his memory loss, you have nothing, and I'm sure you don't want people to see us in your law court."

       "And if we don't show you to them, they won't believe us." Ori realized. "They'll think the Death Note is just some edgy teen's diary and all the dead criminals he killed is just a list after they died, but we can't worry about that now. Our first priority is keeping Misa out of the loop. She's not Kira 2 anymore, and no one can prove otherwise." She turned to Rem, desperate to not be unnerved by that singular golden snake eye.

       "We can move any charge that would be on Misa over to Light. He was telling her what to do, so even now she's only an accomplice, but as long as we make sure Light doesn't mention her, no one will say she had anything to do with it."

       "I could just write Light's name in the Death Note right now." Ryuk offered, but L just shook his head. 

       "Then people won't know what happened to Kira. Enough people worship him to cause riots."

       "But they'd never do that;" Ori said. "People wouldn't just outwardly come out and say they want Kira back, it would be restricted to the internet." A smile tugged at her mouth. "I think you just want people to know that you won."

       "That too." He said with little hesitation. 

       "What if we stage an announcement where Kira says he gives up, and then I kill Light?" Ryuk said, almost gleefully. 

       "I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's death," Ori said.

       "But you wouldn't be. It would be me writing his name down."

       "But-"

       "Listen, kid," Ryuk said, suddenly serious, "I told Light that when he died, it would be me writing his name down. I don't care what you decide, but when he dies, it'll be because I put his name in the Death Note."

       "Are you using a heart attack?" Ori found herself asking. Ryuk nodded his confirmation, and Ori found herself nodding along. "Makes sense."

       "So as long as we take charge of the rest of the investigation, you'll be the one to actually kill him?" L asked. Ryuk threw a thumbs up with his trademark smile.

       "You're seriously going to let him write Light's name down?!"

       "Honey, even without Ryuk's help, he'd be facing the death penalty anyway. Though, if Kira just suddenly stopped, I'm sure people would move on rather shortly."

       "No, they wouldn't!" Ori felt appalled, but she was glad he at least told her what he wanted the plan to be this time. "Once criminals stop dying, people are going to realize they can commit crimes again, then people will start wondering where Kira is and the websites will blow up."