39

Everything had returned to a new state of normalcy after Jisoo was enlightened by Jennie's confession. She decided to split her attention between her usual responsibilities and try to process Jennie's revelations. Despite her efforts, Jisoo still struggled to decipher and process everything Jennie had told her. Questions constantly swirled in her mind. The only thing Jisoo understood with absolute clarity was that Jennie truly loved Lisa but had made a wrong decision that ruined everything.

Every day, Jennie spent almost all her time at the company, handling both her own work and her wife’s. Despite being overwhelmed with tasks, she always found time to provide Lisa with meals. Of course, Lisa had no idea that all the food her secretary brought her every day was lovingly cooked by Jennie.

One afternoon, Jisoo visited Lisa and found her enjoying her meal.

"Is it good?" Jisoo asked, causing Lisa to pause briefly from eating and bobbed her head in delight.

Jisoo glanced at the food in front of Lisa, smiling at the thought that Jennie was really trying to make amends.

"Unnie, want to try this?" Lisa offered a beef strip, but Jisoo shook her head.

"I'm full," she replied, watching as Lisa ate the piece herself. It was rare to see Lisa so relaxed.

As Jisoo wandered around the office, her eyes caught a photo on Lisa's bookshelf that she hadn’t seen before.

"Lisa?" Jisoo called, holding up the picture. "Do you remember anything about this?"

Lisa squinted at the photo, trying to recall the memory. After a moment, she gave up and continued eating, but then suddenly remembered.

"That time, someone asked for your number, right?" Lisa's words made Jisoo gasp. That did happen that day, but it was a pervert whom Jisoo had quickly shut down. Yet, she was referring to something else.

"No, not that. Do you remember when Jennie left that day?" Jisoo asked. Lisa’s face changed at the mention of Jennie's name.
"Yeah," she said, suddenly seeming distant. Jisoo noticed the shift in her expression.

"Where did she go that time?" Jisoo pressed, looking at the date written on the back of the photo.

"Setember 15," she read aloud. "She always leaves on this day."

"Why?" Jisoo asked, curiosity piqued.

"She always said she was visiting her grandmother. That's it," Lisa replied with a shrug. She never really knew where Jennie went every September 15
After their conversation, Jisoo felt even more unsettled about Jennie. It seemed like there was more to the story than Jennie had revealed.

"Unnie?" Lisa called, noticing Jisoo spa
cing out. "Don't overthink it. Maybe she and Kai were already in a relationship before, and they set that day as their anniversary." Lisa let out a short, sarcastic laugh. "It feels like I'm the villain, just testing their resilient love."

Lisa's words were filled with pain, silencing Jisoo. She feared saying something that might worsen Lisa's feelings. Just then, Lisa's secretary entered to inform her of an appointment, leaving Jisoo alone with the photo. Memories began to flood back, making everything clearer.

Lisa’s POV:

"Good afternoon, Ms. Manoban," Mr. Smith greeted, and I returned the gesture. I felt nervous, knowing this company might lose him.

"Take a seat, Mr. Smith," I said, clasping my hands to hide their trembling. I hoped he hadn’t decided to give all his shares to Jongin's company.

"I have already signed these papers," Mr. Smith said, handing over the contracts. "It is my pleasure to be a shareholder of your company." I was so happy yet maintain frame.

"I'm glad to hear that," I replied, relieved. We exchanged smiles as I thanked him profusely.

"Honestly, I considered giving it to Mr. Jongin, especially since his company's image is clean... No offense, Ms. Manoban, I'm just being honest," he said, and I nodded.

"Thank you for trusting Kim-Manoban Corp. again," I said gratefully.

"No, Ms. Manoban, you should thank your wife's effort." I tilted my head in confusion.

"My wife?" I asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"It seems Ms. Kim hasn’t told you. Your wife kept coming to my company to convince me to reinvest. She even personally apologized to my employee. I thought she did it for your company’s gain, but she never mentioned it. Due to her sincerity, I decided to give you a second chance," Mr. Smith explained.

So that’s why Jennie sometimes came home late and tired. I pushed aside my thoughts to face him again.

"Thank you for giving us another chance, Mr. Smith," I said, smiling gratefully.

"But may I ask a favor, Ms. Manoban?"

"Of course, anything."

"I usually visit an orphanage I support monthly. There's an event next month, but I can't attend due to business matters. Could you and your wife attend on my behalf?" Mr. Smith asked timidly.

"No problem, Mr. Smith. We’d be happy to," I agreed quickly. I loved kids, so there was no reason to decline. I even thought of inviting Jisoo, Bambam, and Seulgi.

"Thank you, Ms. Manoban," he said, relieved. We shook hands before he left.

I received a message from Jisoo saying she had returned to her company. As I headed to my office, I passed Jennie’s and remembered what Mr. Smith said. I entered her office.

"Can you bring me some coffee?" Jennie ordered without looking up, mistaking me for her secretary. When she realized it was me, she stammered, "L-Lisa? I'm sorry, I thought you—"

"Mr. Smith returned his investment," I said flatly.

"O-Oh, that's good—"

"He asked me a favor. I’ll let my secretary discuss it with you," I interrupted. I wanted to inform her myself, but seeing her made me feel suffocated. I noticed the photo Jisoo had held earlier.

"Did Jisoo come here?" I asked, Jennie nodded.

"She just asked me something," Jennie said.

"Okay," I said, turning to leave. I stopped and looked over my shoulder. "You're probably waiting for me to thank you for convincing Mr. Smith."

"No, I didn't—" she began, but I cut her off.

"You better not, Jennie. Just in case you’ve forgotten, you caused it."

"I-I know," she whispered.

I let out a sharp breath, feeling a stab of pain, and walked out.