TWO

ᴏɴɪᴋᴀ "ɴɪᴄᴋɪ" ᴍᴀʀᴀᴊ

ᴏɴɪᴋᴀ "ɴɪᴄᴋɪ" ᴍᴀʀᴀᴊ

Today wasn't too bad; for the most part, I kept my head down and focused on my classwork. Occasionally, I speak to the small groups of people I care to interact with. School isn't exactly a super exciting place to be for me; I've had problem after problem here to the point where I lost count. Apparently, if you're not down with a select few, they'll paint you as their target. I kind of learned the hard way. It doesn't matter, though. This is my final year; I'm just here to graduate and get the fuck outta here.

For the most part, I get straight A's. I'm also in AP Honors. I don't talk much in some classes; those that I do talk in are because of my best friend. We have a couple classes together, and if it weren't for her, I'd probably be completely antisocial.

We were currently in American history. She sits in front of me and normally pays attention while I doze off. I guess I was knocked out because she snatched my headphones out of nowhere, "What!?"

"You can't be serious... girl did you not hear a single word on the intercom?"

"Clearly not Robs."

"Onika, you're going to go deaf if you keep on playing music so damn loud! Bitch, there was a whole ass intercom about an assembly we need to go to, like now."

"On a Monday, why?"

She shakes her head, "damn so you just didn't pay attention to anything today. Julie was found dead; they announced it this morning. I'm pretty sure the principal wants to have a moment of silence or something along those lines."

"And you expect me to give a damn because?"

"Because Nicki!"

"Isn't this the same Julie who went around bragging about going to a party her plug was throwing? That girl was doing serious drugs. Robs, I'm not surprised she's dead."

"Look, I get you two had issues, but she died, Nicki. Have some sympathy." I stopped everything I was doing when she said that.

Julie used to be this really sweet kid back in middle school. We used to play together time after time, but we weren't really friends. When we got to high school, Julie got mixed in with a certain group of people who have this mysterious problem with me. I still don't know what the beef is between us! Anyway, our sophomore year, she and I had gym together. Like everyone else, I would change in the locker room. Well, Julie thought it would be funny to take a picture of me topless and share it with the whole school. I didn't even know about the pictures until I got called into the counselor's office.