A long-expected party

"Uncle! Uncle! Look!"

"What is my lad?"

A muffled noise brought both their attention to a tiny creature laying on the floor wrapped in a little blanket. A baby hobbit. She looked no older than a week or so.

"Why, it's a baby!"

"It is indeed..." Bilbo picked the baby up and Frodo stood on his tippy toes to look at her.

"Should we take her home?"

The crying instantly stopped as a sweet little smile bloomed on her little face, and her bright blue eyes glistened in the sun as they fluttered open for the first time that day. Both hobbits hearts filled with pity for the beautiful little creature looking up at them.

"I think that would be the best thing to do. Come along Frodo."

~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~

I was sitting at the dining table, reading a book and eating an apple. Frodo walked past me with the mail. I finished my page and stood up, put the apple core in a bin and walked over to Bilbo's study. Frodo was talking to Bilbo about a book he was writing and Me and Frodo were both eager to read it, but every time we tried to look over his shoulder at it he would tell us it's not ready yet. I chuckled as I heard Bilbo tell Frodo to get his 'sticky paws' off of his work. I went over to see them and saw Bilbo with a handful of letters.

"What are those?" I asked.

"Replies to the party invitations." Frodo said. "Bilbo just asked the same thing."

"Ah! Good gracious, is it today?" Bilbo said, getting out of his chair happily.

"They all say they're coming, except the Sackville-Bagginses, who are demanding you ask them in person." Frodo said, rolling his eyes.

"Are they, indeed. Over my dead body." Bilbo said and I giggled.

"They'd probably find that quite agreeable. They seem to think you have tunnels overflowing with gold." Frodo chuckled.

"It was one small chest, hardly overflowing. And it still smells of troll." Bilbo said.

Bilbo suddenly started frantically hurrying around and hiding silverware and other valuable and expensive household items in pots and cupboard or covering them up in cloths.

"What on earth are you doing?" Frodo and I asked at the same time.

"Taking precautions." Bilbo said. "You know I caught her making off with the silverware once."

"Who?" Frodo asked.

I think I knew who it was. A certain someone would be going around slipping things into her pockets. Like the time she got away with some of Bilbo's spoons. Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.

"Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. She had all my spoons stuffed in her pockets. Dreadful woman." Bilbo headed into another room. "Make sure you keep an eye on here after I'm... when I'm... when..."

"When your... what?" Frodo asked and I stood, leaning against a wall and raising an eyebrow.

"It's nothing. Nothing."