03

'Mom, why can't i go with Cora?' Kayden whined, his hands were crossed over his chest as they entered their home. Kaycee hung her a jacket on the coat rack, sighing as she tossed her car keys into a decorative bowl. 'Mom, if it's about money. Then don't worry, I've got plenty saved up-'

'Kayden, your dad wants to take you out on the weekend. He called me and I said yes' Kaycee interrupted him. Kayden made an o shake with his mouth, blowing out a breath of air. When Kayden sighed he jutted his bottom lip out, redirecting the air-flow to his long bangs. For that brief moment his brown hair fanned upwards before resettling just over his eyes.

'Oh, alright...' he muttered, fiddling with his fingers as he sat down on the couch. 'But I don't see why he gets to take me out. He's the one who couldn't bother with me last week'

'Love, he was probably just busy. Let's give him the benefit of doubt, yeah? He's still your father, okay?' Kaycee consoled, sitting on the arm rest and ruffling her hand through his hair. Kayden nodded his head, giving his mom's arm a light squeeze before laying his head on her lap.

'Are you happy, Mom?' Kayden paused as the words flew out of his mouth. His comment was so out of character, so far from what Kaycee knew of him, he just stared at her open mouthed. His brain formulated no thoughts other than to register that she was shocked. He closed his mouth, then looked at his toes before glancing back up to catch her eye. 'Are you?'

Kaycee's mind was a surging complexity. Thoughts were racing through her mind and she felt as if all air had left her lungs as she tried to croak out an answer. He had never asked a question so...personal and emotive. He was usually chirpy and a bright light, it wasn't like him to just blurt out a question like that.

'Of course, I am, honey. I always am, by your side' she replied after what felt like hours of silence. Kayden smiled at his mom, heaving himself up and pecking his mom's cheek before skipping upstairs. 

'Holy Mac and cheese' Kaycee mumbled, dragging herself into the kitchen. She still wasn't able to fully process what had just happened. It may not seem like a big deal to most people, but it was for Kaycee.

She began loading all the plates into the dishwasher. 'He really is something else' she mumbled to herself, shaking her head in disbelief. She was confused as to what went through his mind to ask that. 

Trying to shake out all her thoughts, she left for her room, tying her hair up in a bun and dressing up in a casual outfit. 'Kay? I'm gonna head out for work now. Call me if there's anything wrong'

'Okay, bye. Love you mom' He hummed, in a sing sing voice. She could tell that he was listening to music, as she peeked her head over the door and watched him clean up his laundry with two earphones plugged in his ears.

Kaycee brushed her clothes down, taking one last look in the mirror before leaving her house. She was always hesitant to leave her son alone at home with no babysitter, but with the way things were working out for her, she couldn't pay a babysitter for more than two days a week. He was a mature kid, she knew that. But he was still her baby to her.

She picked up her car keys, taking a jacket in hand as she walked to her car. Resting her bag and jacket in the opposite seat, she drove out of her driveway, saying a quick prayer that Kayden would be alright.

—————

'Kaycee!' Her best friend jumped into her back, showering her with so many comments at once.

'Hold up, Bails. You're taking too fast' she giggled, telling her to shush down with her finger seeing as they were in a library.

'I met this boy' she squealed, jumping up and down and dragging her to the back room. 'He's so hot, K'.