14

'Woah there, Love. Hold up-I-...Kay? What happened?'

'Mom' he cried, stretching his body out on his bed and crying into his pillow, helplessly. Kaycee couldn't even remember the last time he had cried over something that wasn't an injury and seeing him like this broke her heart.

'Talk to me' Kaycee whispered, rubbing his back soothingly, with her fingers tracing shapes on his upper body.

'He's dating someone else' he whispered, sitting up straight and cuddling into Kaycee's warmth.

'Who?'

'Sean...' he started, taking a pause before continuing. Just at the mere mention of Sean, Kaycee's cheeks heated up a dark shade of pink. 'He has a girlfriend. He was perfect for you' he sobbed, slightly shaking in Kaycee's embrace.  Kaycee wanted to soothe him comfortingly but her mouth dropped open as he finished his sentence. She knew it was stupid, since he didn't owe her anything especially his love but she could feel her heart pang with pain.

'It's alright,Kay' she consoled softly, after minutes of trying to compose herself. 'He's just a friend'.

'Not to me, he wasn't' Kayden whimpered, rubbing his nose with the back of his sleeve. 

'Oh Kay...you can't expect someone to be a father figure just because you see him as one. He may not want to, that's his decision' Kaycee told him, pressing him closer to her heart.

'I-I know, but I really thought h-he liked you' he whispered, his tears officially causing Kaycee's grey shirt to become a shade darker.

'Oh, love' Kycee murmured, wrapping one arm around his head.

'I -t-thought that you could have a h-husband and I c-could have a dad' he sniffled. 'Someone who's better than Miles'. Her heart ached. The nausea swirled unrestrained in her empty stomach. Her head swam with half-formed regrets. Her heart felt as if hee blood had become tar as it struggled to keep a steady beat. Her once comforting mood turned melancholy as they hung over her like a black cloud. Her heart was so broken to hear him say such a thing.

'Not e-everyone needs a husband and dad. I'm perfectly happy just having you, my love. I couldn't be luckier and happier than I am with you' she smiled down at him. Kayden peeked his head up, his cheeks puffy and eyes bloodshot red as he tried to plaster on a smile. During his attempts, the doorbell rang and Kaycee was about to go open it before she heard footsteps entering.

'Bails' here. Do you want to come out or-' she started before being cut off by the bedroom door flying open.

'My babies' Bailey cooed, arms stretched open for a hug. 'My babies?' Her eyes trailed from Kaycee's wet shirt to Kayden's tear stained face and she already felt as if she knew what had happened. Kayden snuggled furthe into Kaycee side, hiding his teary eyes in embarrassment.

'What happened?' Bailey asked in a whisper as she sat down quietly beside her.

Kaycee didn't know if she should have told Bailey, but she was feeling so muddled with her emotions that everything just came flying out. 'Uh-it's complicated but things happened with Sean and Kay's juts a little disappointed'. Bailey nodded her head understandingly, standing up and sitting on the other side of Kayden.

'Hey there, Kay' she softly mumbled.  She could hear him sniffling and his heart beat was abnormally fast.

Kayden didn't response so she took the initiative to pull him into her. 'No seaycee?' She whispered quietly only for him to hear. 

Kayden shook his head no, only crying further at the mention, as Kaycee sat there dumbfounded while playing with her fingers, never would she have guessed that her son would have been so emotional over a father figure. She almost felt as to blame for not having a proper love life and therefore lacking to give Kayden a dad.