18

Continuation...

'Kaycee dear' a voice on the other end of her phone sneered. Kaycee made a disgusted face, only answering the call because cause she was curious as to why he called.

'What is it, Miles?' She grumbled, driving onto the main road.

'Should we-uh...drop Kayden at your home or mine?' Miles asked, followed by a female voice in the background. Kaycee's foot stepped on the brake pedal, her body flying forward as all air left her lungs.

'What are you doing with Kayden?' She questioned, eyes bulging wide as she apologized to the cars honking at her.

'The boys sick' he slurred, followed by a 'vomit' sound and just by that Kaycee knew he was drunk.

'I-uh-how?' She stammered, changing direction from Chloe's house back to her own.

'Bring him back to my house. You hear that, my house, I'll be there in a moment' she panicked, ending the call as she went slightly over the speed limit.

'The fuck?' She cursed to herself, as she banged her hand on the steering wheel. She could feel her head pounding as her breathing becoming labored. The atmosphere was filled with curses and profanities when her phone rang again.

'Hello' she murmured, attatching her phone to a car stand.

'Hi Kaycee, it's Chloe. I just wanted to call you because...Oh-um Kayden's dad picked him up. He said he didn't feel good so...I probably shouldn't have let him go without your consent but he is his father and I couldn't say no' she started. 'I hope that alright'

'Yeah, yeah that's fine. Completely fine' she lied through her teeth, as she took a shortcut back home. 

'Kayden said that he tried calling you but I'm presuming that your phone was on mute' Chloe babbled.

Kaycee dragged a hand down her face, checking her phone and sure enough there were 5+ calls from her son.

'Oh-yeah sorry. Thank you for minding him. I-uh I'm going to go pick him up. Thank you, Chloe' she rambled, before ending the call and twisting and turning as she made it to her estate.

She could see a black Mercedes parked on the left side of her driveway as she pulled in beside it. Having the two cars side by side only showed Kaycee how old her car was, but she brushed it off as she attempted to sprint  inside with her keys fumbling in the keyhole.

Seeing as the keys werent going in with the way her hands were trembling, she took in a few deep breaths, focused on the keys and the door flung open. Her eyes met a baby girl crawling on the floor, another older girl resting on a woman's lap and Miles, sure enough fast asleep on her leather couch.

'Where's Kayden?' She questioned, slamming the door shut as her eyes scanned around the room but didn't spot Kayden.

'He's asleep in his room he was tired and-' the lady started, before Kaycee ran past her and into her son's room. And there right in front of her, was her son laid snuggled under his bed covers. She felt like she could breathed again as she laid her hand on her heart.

'Kaycee' a voice echoed  in the living room, and just like that her relief was replaced with disgust. Closing the bedroom door shut quietly, she re-appeared in the living room. 'How are you?' He slurred, standing up before tipsily falling back onto the couch.

'Please leave' Kaycee pointed at the door, unable to make eye to eye contact with her ex-husband.

'Oh, come on. We just dropped Kayden off, a thank you would be appreciated' Miles chuckled, scooting over beside his current wife and laying his head on her shoulder.