08

Two days later.

'Are you kidding me?' Kaycee groaned, punching her steering wheel as she hastily got out of her car and checked her back tires. 'Fucking punctured and I need to collect Kay' She began rubbing her temples helplessly, checking the time o n her watch before dialing Bailey's number. 

'Hey, girl. What you up t-'

'My tires punctured. I'm gonna call a tow truck but could you come pick me up? I need to collect Kay' she sighed, pressing the loud speaker option.

'Sure, where are you at?'

'The library, Bails. In the parking lot' 

'You're working today?' Bailey questioned through the phone.

'Just needed some extra money. Everything's fine... bar my car. Can you come pick me up?'

'Of course. I'm on my way. I should be there in 20 minutes or so' Bailey murmured. Kaycee could hear her best friend's car keys jingle and car door opening, as she mentally thanked Bailey. 

'Okay, bye then. Love you'

'Love you' and the call ended, leaving Kaycee to stand alone in the parking lot with her broken car. The time on her watch was close to hitting eight o clock-the time Kayden's dance rehearsals ended-and Kaycee couldn't help but punch her steering wheel in rage.

 The autumn brought forth an early evening, signifying the beginning of long periods of harsh loneliness and numb frostbite. Kaycee sat back inside her car, her back pressed against the leather seats and hands shivering along the lined edges of the cracked wheel and fragments of hope. She laid her head gently on the steering wheel surface, puffs of warm breath threading out of her lips. She'd do anything to feel the radiating heat of another by this point. Eyelids fluttering shut, she allowed herself a quick smile, sending positive thoughts to her mind. 

She decided to make a call to the tow trucks, explaining her situtaion which they replied with 'we'll be there in five minutes'. And four minutes went by before a large truck appeared in the car park with a trailer attached.

'Hello Ma'am. You called?' A man hopped out of the truck, big and buff.

'Yes, sorry. Um- my tire's punctured' she said shortly, getting out of her car and locking the car door.

'We'll take it to the workshop. And fix it up there. Should be ready tomorrow. Could I have some contact details?'

'Of course. My number is 098 653 7537. Thank you' Kaycee smiled, slightly intimidated by the mans physical appearance

'No worries' he answered, towing her car away

'Bails' Kaycee said to herlsef as she checked her watch. She wrapped her arms around her body, wishing that she was in her fluffy rorbe and pajamas rather than jean shorts and a light jumper.  She continuously glanced at her watch, wishing that time would just hurry up as she rocked on her spot before pacing up and down the pedestrian.

'Where are you?' She mumbled, repeatedly checking the time time. 

It was when she caught sight of a silver car zooming down the road that she finally sighed in relief.

'Hey there, grumpy' her friend laughed, watching her hurriedly jump inside and place her hands on the air conditioner.

'Groove and go, dance studio, 24th street' Kaycee rambled, pressing it into Bailey's GPS as she shivered from the cold.

'Someone's grumpy 'cause they're gonna be late' Bailey joked, turning on her radio and bobbing her head along to the music.

'Oh shut it'