17

'Can you collect me? I'll send you the address?'

'Who is this?' The man on the other end slurred.

Kayden sighed. 'Kayden, your son'

'Ah, I know you...I'm on my way' the man chuckled abnormally loud, ending the phone call, just like that. 

'I can't believe I just did that' Kayden whispered to himself, as he heaved himself up and contemplated whether he should go back out or just stay inside and wait until his father came to pick him up. As his thoughts kept him busy, he could hear his name being called from the kitchen, with a final sigh and re-checking himself in the mirror, he walked outside, head bent down low in order not meet anybody's eyes.

'Well, I'm sorry that I'm not a professional chef' he heard Chloe scoff, as she rummaged through the drawer for something. 

'You should be' He heard Sean reply. He tried to recompose himself, smiling sweetly at Cora as he sat down beside her and opposite Sean. Sean rolled his eyes at Chloe, leaning on his hands as he turned to face Kayden.

'How are you bud? I haven't seen you in awhile'.

'Fine'.

'Oh-okay? Are you feeling better? I mean-I just presumed you felt sick cause you did come to class and all-'

Kayden thought to just burst out in full rage at him, but his mom had taught him better, so he simply shrugged his shoulders poking his food with his fork. He plopped one in his mouth before speaking up.

'Uh-Chloe? Um-my d--uh Miles, is coming to pick me up in a few minutes. I just feel a little sick' Kayden lied, ignoring the stares that came from Sean.

'I knew you were sick when you didn't laugh at my jokes' Cora laughed, leaning her head on Kayden's shoulder and giving his hands a squeeze for a second.

'Oh, that's okay. Should I call Kaycee or?' Chloe questioned, her head tilted to one side.

'I tried by t I think she's working, she didn't answer my calls. But it's fine, miles will pick me up' he replied.

Chloe smiler back at him, Julien looking a little weary and Sean staring at him, his eyes filled with questions.

Kayden continued poking at his food, for the first time in his life praying that his dad would come pick him up. A weird sight but he didn't want to be in an area around Sean.

Minutes passed as the clock ticked and Kayden counted the moments. He could feel his elf growing more nauseous as he lifted his head up only to be met by Sean's dark orbs piercing into his. Quickly, he pushed his head back down, cutting his already tiny cut pieces of fries into smaller slices when the doorbell rang a minimal of five times.

'That should be your dad' Chloe smiled, hopping if her chair as she approached the door.

'Miles' he corrected her quietly.

As Miles rang the doorbell, he could feel himself rock side to side. He toppled down the step onto the cobbled porch and the houses swayed like they were part of a fun house mirror illusion. After only six staggering paces he doubled over, vomit splashing on the stones and spraying his new jeans.  He was kneeling in the porch, slumped as if dead, but merely unconscious. He was cold to the touch. 

'Uh-Hi?' Chloe said unsurely, as she worried if this was Kayden's so called father.

'Kayden Rice?' He asked, standing to his feet as he held onto a lmaoost and wobbled back and forth.

'Um yes, he's here...Are you driving?' She blurted out.

'Nah, my wife's d-doing that. L-lovely lady isn't she?' He replied obnoxiously loud, probably alarming the neighbours as his breath reeked of alcohol.