Chapter 13

I never expected my pregnancy to fly by so quickly. The bump I was currently sporting seemed to arrive so suddenly as clear evidence of the human being camping out in my uterus. I remember the day I noticed the small bulge looking more like a baby bump than bloating like it was yesterday.

After running straight into Katherine and Hallie for the first time since my weeks of mopping over a phone call, I spotted the roundness of my stomach proudly failing to let go of the smile I was so excited to hold for the first time in weeks.

The realization was both an incredible feeling and one I deeply wanted to avoid. The bump made it real, the whole reality that I was about to become a mother seemed to be confirmed. More importantly, I was going to be a single mother.

I knew for certain the second Hero found out I'd kept it from him for so long he'd hate me the way I found myself hating him. I'd not only kept the facts revolving around his child a secret, but I'd also taken his chance of experiencing almost half of my pregnancy from him.

For the first few weeks, I found my worry escalating at the ways he might find out. The possible click of a camera or a phone call between Anna and Hero gone wrong, I knew the risks that came with my decision of keeping his son or daughter from him.

Those days seemed like a blur as my 18th week of pregnancy officially begun yesterday, each passing one increasing my worry ever so slightly.

Since the day I finally saw some light after a dark stricken depression caused by him and his friend's mouth, I promised myself to start a lifestyle suitable for the person currently absorbing my bodily fluids.

I stopped sitting around all day and found a hobby for the lengthy quarantine which didn't seem like it was going away any time soon. Gardening on the rooftop of my apartment building became my new sanctuary, a place for me and baby to escape the noise the household often undertook.

I also made my minimal amount of outings to the shops even more limited than before. With the cases of corona skyrocketing, the news became my biggest concern possible and soon was banned by my fellow roommates. I refused to go to any grocery stores, clothes stores that were open, hairdressers, all of it was officially banned for me.

Despite it being mid-June and the majority of the state beginning to reach a new level of normality, I still felt a never before experienced sense of worry over my child's life.

After far more than normal phone calls to my parents asking about all the precautions I could possibly take without even mentioning my pregnancy, I only grew more concerned as they spoke of a possible second rise.

In a normal situation, I'd, of course, do everything physically possible to protect us both and hope with my whole heart that I wouldn't contract the virus but this was different, my motherly instincts seemed to be in full control as my sole panic surrounded the baby I'd have in my arms in just over 5 months.

I'd take a daily walk across a small park I'd been lucky enough to come across for exercise. The secluded area was practically empty and became the only place I felt safe enough to travel towards outside my apartment other than the necessary appointments at my doctor's office which I was assured were 100% safe whilst my brooding grew.

Breaking me out of my trance, I feel an almighty tug at my hair causing an instant feeling of pain to swim through me.

"Hallie what the fuck are you doing" I screamed whilst gripping the side of my head where she stole the thin pieces of hair previously there.

"The ring test" she spoke as if she hadn't just practiced her cruel hairdressing skills on me.

"What are you even on about?" I spoke completely confused whilst she took the ring laying on my finger pulling the single strand of blonde through.