Chapter 24

Forcing my eyes open as the sunlight interrupted my much-needed sleep, I instantly stretched out my body looking towards the window with a smile moulded permanently on my face. Throwing my fingers to the spot he once was, my body suddenly launched up only to see the flattened pillow as the only evidence he was ever here.

Within seconds, a flood of embarrassment washed over me like a tidal wave. He'd left. After everything that happened between us last night, the first time I actually felt like the two of us were fucking moving forward, he'd decided to walk straight out the door.

Breaking my thoughts like a lightning bully as tears slowly began to slip from my eyes, I watched as my sister and best friend pounced straight onto the bed I was currently lying on slamming the door shut behind them.

"So, what happened last night"

"Did the two of you talk everything out"

The two of them spoke simultaneously before noticing the emotional state I had once again managed to get myself into over a man who clearly didn't care for me.

"Jo love, what's wrong?" Kath asked in her nurturing tone whilst Hallie looked completely ready to fight whatever stood in her way.

"Oh, you know Kath, the usual. I listen to my baby daddy talk to our baby after he gets me the food I was fucking dying for, sleep in the same bed as him ready to talk this morning only for him to run straight off as soon as the crack of dawn hits"

"Jo-" Hallie tried to interrupt with the look on her face softening whilst remaining completely unsuccessful at her attempt to stop my words.

"I should have expected it. It's us, all we ever fucking do is run away from our problems. But we need to talk, we really need to talk this shit out before we bring a child to the world. This is no practise, this is fucking reality. I'm about to be a mother and all he keeps doing is running away from m-"

"Good morning ladies" I hear the thick British accent announce from just outside the doorframe causing my eyes to widen in surprise.

Shooting his eyes straight towards mine, he directed his next set of words straight towards me, "I heard you were craving one of those McMuffins from McDonald's so I just nipped through the drive-thru. I didn't want to wake you but I'm not disappearing Jo, I promise."

Maintaining eye contact only between the two of us, he quickly took the few remaining steps forward to hand me the breakfast I couldn't be more unbothered about as the two others in the room ushered their goodbyes before enclosing us both in the space which only seemed to be growing smaller.

"Did you sleep okay?" He spoke after almost 5 minutes of silent tension filling between the four walls.

"Yeah, did you?"

"Best nights sleep I've had in months. Plus, my little man kicking certainly settled me. I know it sounds stupid and like I'm spouting absolute bullshit but I feel like he knows us Jo. Our son knows we are his parents"

Placing my hand over the bulge I acknowledged his eyes were staring towards, I spoke up again prompting his hand to move over the space mine currently was, "of course he does Hero, he may not have a fucking clue about Hallie's voice or even my sisters, but the moment our baby boy heard us both for the first time he knew who we were"

"I can't believe how soon he'll be here"
He spoke with his hand now moving in a circular motion.

"I know" I responded feeling the tension once present in the room slowly increasing once again.

"We need to talk Jo. No more messing about, no more bullshit, we really need to sit down and talk"

"Okay" I simply stated, moving from my space on the bed to grab the summer dress located in my closet. With realization hitting him that I was waiting for him to exit, he quickly apologised making me finally let out a light chuckle before I followed the remainder of steps which pieced together my morning routine.

"Josephine you look beautiful, doesn't she looking beautiful Hero?" Hallie spoke batting her eyelashes in a way suggesting she was trying to start something earning a glare to be sent straight from my eyes.

"She always does" he announced smiling before understanding what he'd said and moving straight for the door.

"I'll be back later. You two behave, I don't want to come back to any funny business" I spoke in a tone which I didn't realise until after sounded so motherly.

"Yes mother. And plus if theirs going to be any funny business going down here, it's going to be between you and the British chap standing at the door having your loud ass makeup sex. But please don't be too loud, my ears have already bled far too many times with the two of you"

Giving Hallie a soft slap straight to the wrist, I laughed my way towards the door only stopping as I caught sight of the far too attractive English man leaning against my door.

"You ready?" He asked politely waiting on my nod of approval before walking out the door, "where shall we go?"

Due to Covid spiking once again, my desperation to avoid all public areas was once again heightened as I summoned the only idea I could think of, "the park?"

"You really like that park don't you" he spoke letting out a soft round of laughter only receiving an expression from myself that showed me trying to put up a front of annoyance.

"We really enjoy our walks what can I say" I said referring to the human being currently kicking my spine before letting the peaceful silence consume the three of us.

After around 10 minutes of walking with not a single word spoken, I finally caught sight of the bench we'd previously located ourselves on as I sat myself straight down hitting the wood.

"Where do we start?" I finally asked,  lifting my head from looking straight towards the glass shards lying carelessly on the ground to the face I knew I could never possibly get over.

"Let's start from the beginning Jo. What the fuck happened for you to kick me out?"

Oh shit, this is really happening