Chapter 53

I walked around the counter and he handed me one of the glasses. I took it from one of his hands and he grabbed my free hand pulled me into him. He held his glass as he wrapped his arm around my back and pulled me into him. He pressed forward and placed a kiss on my forehead. He pulled me into the living room in front of the fire place and he looked down at me with a soft smile.

"I love you very very much." He said in a sultry tone.

"And I love you too, you want to explain what going on?" I asked gently.

"Nothing at all I just wanted to have a nice evening with you, if you'd like that." He said sweetly.

"Of course I would this just feels like an occasion." I said sipping my wine. He pulled me to the couch and I sat down closely next to him and he brought my legs over his.

"Not at all, just wanted to have a good night together." He said.

"You're not leaving or anything? Nothing bad is happening?" I asked worriedly.

"Relax Astra, nothing is happening." He said. "I just want you to enjoy the rest of the evening."

I didn't feel quite right but I laid my head down on his chest. The music playing in the background sounded awfully familiar but I couldn't quite remember where I had heard it before. It sounded like something from the days of Empire. Something they'd slow dance to at parties.

Just as that thought arose Ben jumped to his feet and set down his glass. I looked up to him with confusion as his top hand was held out too me. I took his hand and I was pulled to my feet. The drink in my hand was taken and set down next to his. He pulled me away from the coffee table and towards the space in front of the large window we had looking out into the galaxy.

"What are you doing?" I asked and he softly smiled pulling me in so he could wrap his arms around my back.

"You want to slow dance so we will." He said confidently.

I stepped back suddenly from him and I could see the confusion in his eyes. I let my hands fall to my sides and I looked at him with a worried expression.

"Why do you constantly invade my mind. This is something we talk about all the time. Why now? Why push me when I'm most vulnerable and need you the most?" I asked and I saw his stature change from comfortable to unsettled.

"I didn't mean to, I guess it's just a habit-"

"That's the problem." I said starting to get angry. "It shouldn't be a habit in the first place, you know it upsets me."

"I was just worried, there's so much going on I don't know what you're thinking." He explained.

"Why must you need to know? I don't constantly monitor what you think, it's wrong to look through people's minds and you know it." I said defensively.

"I'm not saying it's right- listen I'm sorry okay just come back I won't -"

"I'm going on a walk." I said turning on my heel and walking out of the room. "Don't follow me."

"Astra please let me make it up, I'm sorry we were having a good evening and I ruined it." He said sounding upset. "Please let me fix this."

"I'll be back just stay out of my way." I said leaving the room and shutting the door behind me before he could even have the chance to reply.

I stomped down the corridors with arms folded across my chest. I wasn't fuming because frankly with everything going on my emotions were numbed, it was hard to feel anything. At this point I was annoyed but even more so than that, I was conflicted. My brain was bouncing around with thoughts I'd never imagined myself having.