Chapter 42

I woke to a hand shaking my arm. My eyes fluttered open to see Kylo standing over me. I saw the morning sun peaking in from the staircase and I sat up rubbing my eyes. I felt pretty well rested given the circumstances.

"We've got a long journey to make, I've gotten the others up." He said and I nodded.

"Okay." I stated in a quiet voice.

"Astra?" He said and I looked up to him. "Are we okay?"

I didn't answer immediately because I wasnt sure. I wasn't okay with what happened, but I could tell he felt horrible. It didn't make any of it okay, but I could only imagine what I would be feeling if he ran off alone. I'd be worried and panicked out of my mind, but I didn't deserve how he reacted. I was tired of having to take that behavior from him.

"We're fine." I said before walking past him and going up the stairs. I came up to see Percy and the others at the table. No one was talking just sitting around. 

"You guys look lively." I joked walking over to join them.

"How was your night?" Percy said with his eyes wandering towards the stairs where Kylo was below.

"Quiet, surprisingly." I said avoiding eye contact.

"Your arm looks bruised." Percy said and I knew he wasn't happy.

I looked down and could see some pretty dark bruising. I looked up at him and I knew there was nothing I could say to help the situation. I could tell he was getting that brotherly protective attitude. I understand why he was upset I just don't have anything to say or do to make it better.

"What's the plan for today?" I asked exhaling and looking down into my lap as I played with my fingers.

"Well he came up and told us we were going to go on a trip across the desert. Their base is far away so we're going to camp out closer to them." Fiona said in a small voice.

"It's a million degrees shouldn't we go at night? We're gunna wear ourselves out and be completely visible." I said.

"It's a long ways away so by the time we get close it'll be night." Nigel said calmly. "He and I went and grabbed camping bags from the ship this morning."

"I guess we'll just have to see." I said with a heavy sigh.

I heard footsteps from the stairs behind me and we all looked to see Kylo coming up from the basement. His face looked very red and his eyes hung low as he came up to the main floor. He picked up one of three bags from the floor.

"Are we ready?"

We had spent hours trekking through the desert planet. It truly was a horrible task, the heat pounded down on us, there was nothing surrounding us except sand, and it was eerily quiet. Percy would occasionally look back at me to check if I was okay, but we didn't verbally speak all day.

Being that I had to keep my powers muted while we were here I couldn't talk with him through the force like we had before. I was so insanely bored and uncomfortable I craved to just pass the time talking with him, but I knew that was a risk. I could alert them that we were coming and ruin this whole operation.

We stomped through the sand dunes for a good chunk of the day rarely sharing words until the sun was setting over the horizon. I could see mountains and rock formations in the distance. I wiped the sweat off my forehead and continued forward.

"We're stopping at that mountain right there, we'll hike to the top and set up our camp." Kylo said finally cutting the silence.

"Are we close?" Percy asked sounding out of breath.