.FOUR.

Moshi's Carnival
________

"Hi, mum," Seojun said with a smile, but this time, it looked more natural.

"Have you been eating well? Your face looks smaller." Mrs. Jang places her hands on Seojun's face. Her eyebrows scrunched when she noticed the redden mark on his cheek, curtesy of Chaewon. "Who hit you?"

"Oh... uh, no one. I'm just sun burnt," Seojun lied with another natural smile.

She raised a brow. "On one cheek?" she asked. Her tone sounded like she wasn't convinced and he nodded slowly. Then, Mrs. Jang looked beside him and Seojun awkwardly moved to block her view of Jennie. "Who's this, Seojun? Is she the girl you've been seeing?"

Mrs. Jang knew Seojun had a girlfriend but she's never met her since he's never directly introduced any girls to her.

Jennie pushed him out of the way and bowed to Mrs. Jang as a greeting. "Hi, Mrs. Jang, I'm Kim Jennie. It's nice to meet you."

"Ah, Jennie! What a beautiful name," Mrs. Jang said with a smiled. "Seojun, why didn't you introduce us earlier? She seems like a wonderful young lady."

"Oh, I'm not his girlfriend," Jennie said and Seojun but his lip nervously, thinking of what he could do.

"You're not?" Mrs. Jang asked. She looked between the two of them in slight confusion.

Jennie was about to shake her head but Seojun sandwiched her head with his hands to stop her.

"Ah, ha ha... she means not officially..." Seojun mumbled and kept Jennie face from looking at him. "Anyway, mum, we have to get going. Our friends are waiting on us."

"Why do you always wear that cap?" Mr. Jang grumbled and Mrs. Jang eyed him. His tone sounded agitated and it frighten Jennie a little.

"Hm? Oh, I didn't make my hair today, that's all."

"I thought your hair looked fine," Jennie said and took his hat off to brush it with her hand. "There. It looks alright. It's a good thing you've got good genes from your beautiful mom so your hair wouldn't matter much anyway."

Mrs. Jang chuckled with Jennie.

"She's sweet, Seojun. You know, you both should come to our dinner this weekend. Your uncles are coming over to discuss some business, it'll be fun," Mrs. Jang said and gave Seojun a pat on the arm.

"I'd love to come but I have plans this weekend," Jennie lied, in hopes to save Seojun a little.

"Plans? With whom?" Mrs. Jang and looked a little disappointed.

"Oh, um..."

"She had plans with me, so I'll just bring her to the dinner. We'll be there. 6 o'clock sharp, as always," Seojun said.

Jennie was now skeptical of Seojun since his attitude has completely changed around his parents. He actually spoke with complete sentences and didn't sound grumpy.

"Perfect, I'll add two more seats. And Jennie..." Mrs. Jang said and held Jennie's hands, "It was lovely to meet you. Let's talk more this weekend."

"The pleasure's all mine, Mrs. Jang. I'll be there," Jennie said and bowed a few times. "Stay well."

Seojun said goodbye to his mother and she left shortly. Before she left though, she and Mr. Jang made eye contact and even Jennie could see the tension between them. She didn't bring it up of course.

Mr. Jang took a deep breath and approached Seojun now. He looked Seojun up and down before glimpsing at Jennie but, again, Seojun moved over to block her.