.TWENTY NINE.

MARILYN 77
---

"Jennie?"

"Hm?"

"Just checking if you're alive."

"Ha, what? Why wouldn't I be?"

"You usual annoy me on these boat rides."

"..."

"Jennie?"

"Hm?"

"You're pretty."

Jennie lifted her head from Seojun's shoulder and he was staring at her with those loving eyes.

She laughed, "thank you. You're pretty too."

Seojun leaned towards her and she closed her eyes, but he didn't kiss her. Jennie opened her eyes and his face was close to hers. He was looking into her eyes, searching for something.

"What's wrong?"

Seojun only blinked and continued to stare.

"I love you," he said, then smiled at her.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" Jennie said and blushed but she stared right back at him. And in the same matter, which was darting back and forth from her left eye then the right eye then back.

"Just checking."

"Was he testing if my pupils would dilate? My baby~"

Jennie rolled her eyes and smirked. He finally kissed her quickly and retracted.

"I really love you, Jennie. Thank you for... everything."

Jennie blushed and looked away.

"And I want to do you a favour. I want to be here for you," Seojun said and gently held her hands. "I know you are strong and you can be brave, but I want to love you at your weakest too. Please don't hide your feelings from me."

Jennie took his hand and intertwined their fingers. She could feel the effort of his fingers attempting to hold her back, but it was still quite difficult.

"It's not a big problem, Seojun. Trust me. And if it was, you'll be the first person I'll tell. I promise."

Seojun gave her a small smile then kissed her cheek.

"And I love you more, Seojun. You have to stop trying to win that argument."

Jennie laid her head back on Seojun's shoulder and they sat silently as the sound of waves whispered in the background.

"Our school term is ending soon... Many students that are signed by big companies have a training camp for the summer," Seojun said.

Seojun and Jennie were both seniors of the school therefore they didn't need to attend school after the summer break. The point of the school was the prepare and pamper them to be in the music industry, so 'graduation' would be a successful debut and integration into becoming full time idols, or official trainees of a company.

"Mhm... I've heard."

"I was actually... supposed to go to something like that. But after my injury, there wasn't much for me anymore. I thought they would let me go but instead, they gave me a project to work on."

"That sounds nice. What is it?" Jennie asked and looked at him.

"They asked me to help compose a few songs and write some lyrics. Someone leaked my 20% assignment, my second one, to the rest of the school and eventually the rest of the world. Big companies are offering me jobs now."

Jennie was smiling to herself. Seojun had a feeling she wasn't smiling about what he was talking about.

"I have some good news... While you were suspended, I worked with Rosé, Jisoo, Lisa and a few BTS members to perform the song you wrote. It went viral on You Tube..."

Seojun had a confused expression. Jennie couldn't really tell if he was happy or not.

"I hope you didn't mind. I just thought the world should know how great of a musician you are. But I guess I should've asked you first-"

Seojun cut her off with a kiss and when he pulled away, she smiled brightly.

"Sorry, it's the most effective way to distract you," he said and smiled back. "And... thank you, Jennie. Thank you for believing in me."

Seojun gave Jennie's hand a weak squeeze. His smile faltered and she knew it was because of his hand.

It had been a few weeks of physiotherapy for Seojun but his recovery had been very tough on his mental health at times. He did well for his physical therapeutic tests but still couldn't fully stretch his fingers, nor could he really feel much but numbness or pain.

"Seojun... I have something else to tell you..." Jennie said, in hopes of distracting him. "My girls and I... we were selected for a two-month training program with YG Entertainment. I didn't tell you earlier because I thought it would be a distraction to your recovery. But it begins right after the school year, and I have to move out for awhile."

Seojun looked down and stayed quiet. Then he nodded.

"I'm very happy for you, Jennie. I don't mind that you didn't tell me earlier... but I wish you did, so I could spend more time with you instead of physio."

"That's why I didn't want to tell you, Seojun..."

He nodded again then got up from his seat, letting go of Jennie's hand in the process.

"We've arrived," Seojun said and walked off the boat without Jennie.

She was confused by his reaction. She didn't know if he was mad or not, but she didn't justify him getting upset.

Jennie got off the boat and caught up to Seojun, accidentally tripping on his shoes and falling into him.

"Aigoo, sorry, ha. But... Seojun, are you upset that I didn't tell you?"

Jennie let go of his waist and stood in front of him, looking up at him with a small pout.

"I told you, I'm happy for you."

"You don't even seem happy. If you want me to be honest with my feelings then you should do that too. Why are you upset?"

Seojun shook his head, "I'm not upset."

He kissed her forehead but it felt meaningless.

"Seojun..." Jennie said and hugged him. "I only have until next Saturday to be with you. Can't we just put away our attitudes and be together?"

Seojun wrapped his arms around her now and rested his chin on her head. Jennie breathed deeply, and his familiar scent made her feel safe.

"I guess we won't even be able to communicate while you're training, huh?" Seojun said and she nodded.

"Probably only once a month... if we pass our evaluations."

"Then... I'll be waiting for your call."

They hugged for quite awhile until Mrs. Jang approached with a confused look that turned into a smile when she saw Seojun kiss Jennie's head.

"Are you two ready to come inside?" Mrs. Jang asked.

Jennie let go of the hug to greet Mrs. Jang with one. They linked their arms and practically ignored Seojun as they walked into Mrs. Jang's house.

•••