Chapter 18

Ziyi's POV

"I think that is all for today. Thank you, Ziyi. You can go now," my boss finally says the words I have been longing to hear. I couldn't catch Nana lately and I have an important matter to discuss. To be exact – where she has the photo from and how she had found Stephanie Lee earlier than we did.

"Thank you," I respond and bow but when I straighten up I notice a familiar face. He was cleaning the floor carefully. However, I haven't seen him in company before. I was sure of that. Therefore I couldn't recall the place I saw him first.

"Do we have a new employee?" I ask confused and observing the man. My boss follows my gaze and sigh deeply.

"Ah...right. Mina said it was too dirty in hallways and I should have more cleaners. The day after that man came and I just hired him. I have to admit the place seems less dirty, isn't it?" Mr. Choi answers and it hits me suddenly. He is the same homeless man Mina was talking to. Could it be she helped him? This Mina...the meanest person I know. "Anyway you should go. You probably have your life beside work," my boss adds with a smile and I bow once again before leaving.

Mina and that now not homeless man couldn't left my mind. If he had come here he must have been clean and have quite good clothes on. He must have a place to stay. Somewhere, where he can take a shower and leave his dog. However, even if Mina really had helped him, how did she do that so no one noticed it was her. No one asked questions. There's not even a single gossip about it or the man. What happened?

I shrug off all the thoughts and focus on the most significant thing right now.

I call Yanjun to inform him that I head to the company. I ride through a busy streets. The sun has almost set already making the sky covered in colourful clouds. Therefore, I think I prefer faded colours. They make me feel more at ease somehow. More real.

I finally make it to Fan's company. I walk out and rush inside in order to find a girl. So many things on my mind. How did she get the photo? How did she find out? What Stephanie told her?

Our talk with Stephanie Lin still plays in head.

"She was here yesterday," Stephanie says looking at us slightly confused. She probably wonders who we actually are. If we were friends with Nana, she would have told us. This woman might think that way now and I can't blame her. I also wonder why Nana hasn't told us exactly. Was she too scared or ashamed? Maybe she didn't want us to worry or she just wanted to protect Xukun's secrets from us...

More than shocked I feel more hurt now. Not only because of lack of trust from Nana but, most of all, from Xukun. In some way I can understand Nana's behaviour. She must be so confused, lost and still devastated because of the situation with Xukun however he has been my best friend since I remember. What was he actually hiding from me? Why he went to a doctor in the first place?

"So you're saying Nana was here yesterday and you probably told her more than us. And I guess after she met you I asked her to pick up Xukun," Yanjun says looking blankly at the woman still in a light shock.

"I'm afraid yes. However, she might has a lot of things on her mind. She must be confused. But I don't think she was relieved in some way," Stephanie responds smiling at us sadly.

"We won't ask you for details but I have one favour. Just one question. I want to know so I can protect Nana," I start and take a break to organise my thoughts. "Was he talking about Nana? Did he love her?" I ask finally.