Club

Only silence was left as the cheers were cut off by a loud thud coming from Y/N's serve, hitting the opponent's back side of the court, taking her contenders by surprise.

The whistle blew, and their teacher signalled a point to Y/N's team.

Little did she know, that another player of the women's volleyball team was on the other side of the court, a tenacious and competitive, Hamura, Mia, a middle blocker. Her eyes were wide with surprise from the unexpected attack of the newbie.

"Service Ace" Coming from a shaken Green-haired, Yamaguchi, Tsukishima's friend and team-mate, watching by the sidelines.

Tsukishima did not expect that strength coming from a timid Y/N. A tiny smirk lifted a corner of his lips in astonishment. He can't help but be captivated by the surprising things he's been seeing from her.

Mina stayed in place close to the net, her hands wide open ready to receive.

"One more time, Y/N" She shouted, a wide grin on her face, playfully provoking an already agitated Mia.

"We'll get the next one, ladies!" Mia exclaimed in return.

Y/N prepared to serve.

This time, the opposing team was able to receive the ball, their setter was aiming for an obvious taker, Mia.

Y/N was calm, with her eyes on the ball, she read Mia's body language that's trying to make a cross from their right side of the net. Y/N gracefully pushed herself towards their edge of the court and received Mia's spike.

Agitation, quite evident on Mia's face.

The game pushed on and now Y/N was close to the net. She can feel herself warming up. She knows this is just an ordinary game for a subject requirement, but she's getting into it. Her inner competitiveness, refusing to let up.

After a few rally's, it was the opponent team's turn to attack. With only Mia on the other side of the court who's capable of making decent spikes, Y/N focused her attention unto her, as Mia rised to hit the ball. Y/N matched her tempo, raising two arms reaching above the net, she single handedly blocked Mia's shot, earning their winning point.

The whistle blew for the last time and the bell rang signaling the end of the class.

Both teams fell in line for a handshake.

"You're good. Wanna join the women's volleyball club?" Mina suggested as she approached Y/N after the game.

It was Y/N's first time to be invited to any club, in fact even approached by anybody. She averted eye contact and was silently thinking of the possibilities if she chose to say yes.

"C'mon, it'll be fun. With you on the team we might just win prefrectural tournaments" Says a loud, boyish, Mina as she flung an arm over Y/N's shoulder.

Y/N was internally happy but her mind kept going back to the way Mia was staring at her at that particular moment. A spark of doubt ringing inside her head.

"I'll think about it" Y/N answered.

Mina traced to where Y/N was staring and saw a brooding Mia, slowly approaching.

The long red-haired Mia, stood in front of the two, with her arms crossed afront her chest.

"I won't lose to you, the next time" Mia's voice was stern. Then she walked away heading towards the exit of the gym.

"See you at practice, Mia!" Mina shouted, earning a hand raise from Mia as an acknowledgement.

"Don't worry about her, she's always like that." Mina paused checking on Y/N's expression.

Y/N is still avoiding eye contact.

"Let me know if you're in, alright? The tournaments will start 5 months from now, I hope it won't take you that long." With a pat on Y/N's shoulder, Mina left for the exit as well.

"See you in class" She added.