Then and (Now)

Y/N's father continued to be amused by how smart and mature Tsukishima has been. A part of him was starting to get convinced that he can leave his daughter in his hands, yet it's too uncertain. They're still ages away from being a proper adult, and they still needed guidance. He needed something he can see, something that is already predetermined, that's the only way that he can stop worrying about Y/N's future.

"As I said, Y/N will be inheriting the company that I am managing now. She will be leaving for America after she graduates highschool. She will be staying there for a very, very, long time... Do you think you can hold out?" The man began the bargain.

"Are you sure that this is what Y/N also had in mind?" The blonde boy sternly rebutted.

Y/N's father know the recent changes in Y/N's decisions, he thought that it was just a spur of the moment, because Y/N met Tsukishima, if she haven't met him, she wouldn't be this fickle minded.

"This was the original plan, even before you entered the picture. She only changed her mind after meeting you. Maybe if she haven't met you, we won't be arguing about this all of the sudden."

Tsukishima thought that he had a point. What if they've never met, Y/N would still be having a certain and brighter future.

"I'm sure you have been a witness to how comfortable Y/N have lived. From her house, to her cars, and her properties. Can you imagine her, living with you in a cramped up apartment, doing the chores, working part-time jobs while studying just to pay the bills?" Y/N's father continued to press on.

It is true, Tsukishima will seem to be robbing her of the comfort she was used to. For the first time, he pictured Y/N in his mind, sweating and exhausted from working and studying at the same time. For the first time, he was worried if Y/N would totally be okay with it. His imagination went from Y/N eating her delicious expensive meals to her eating instant noodles and combi store microwave food, would she be totally okay with it? That's the only thing they can afford by then.

Y/N's father sat and watch as Tsukishima simmered in his realizations, satisfied that he finally got through.

"It is unfortunate, but I've already have her meet a decent guy. An heir to our trusted conglomerate and he seemed really interested in her. They pretty much have the same path laid out for them. If they get along, there's nothing else I'd worry about. I'm sorry if I'm being straightforward about this, but I need you to understand, that once you guys set on the path that you both decided to take, would you both remain happy when the both of you are struggling to make end's meet?"

The tall blonde boy sat there silent and defeated. Y/N's father has a point, he can't offer even an eighth of the comfort that Y/N is already having, and to have her go through the same struggle of a middle-class, who's still unsure of his future, is something a little too cruel.

He wanted to fight for her, but he's unequipped and even if he would start now, they'll take a huge hit in their relationship before he'd be able to do so. They'd still end up miserable in the end.

"I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from, Tsukishima-kun."

As a man, Tsukishima refused to cry in front of his lover's father. He's holding unto the last straw of his pride that's now shattered into pieces. He's trying his very best to hold it in, clenching his fist, and looking away.

"If only we've met in a different circumstance, I will all willingly let you be with my daughter. You know what you have to do, the sooner you do it, the easier it is for the both of you."

The old man stood after consuming what's left inside the tin can.

"C'mon, I'll walk you home." He said with a tap on the boy's shoulder.