Hurdle

It's been 2 weeks since Y/N started anew in Karasuno High School. She has established a routine of hers, class in the morning, lunch by the roof deck, play volleyball with the guys in the afternoon and walk home.

Tsukishima has been a silent part of her everyday routine, may it be by sitting with her during lunch or walking her home after practice. Yamaguchi would tag along sometimes. She found comfort in it, despite not being open enough yet. The team had accepted the fact that Y/N was a girl of few words and displayed the same amount of salty-ness as Tsukishima. She was starting to believe that things will be okay.

---

During Y/N's usual afternoon, she was approached by Mina, the woman deemed 'the future women's volleyball team captain.'

"I saw you play with the guys. You were unbelievable. It's so amazing how you could keep up with them" Mina complemented.

Y/N paused from fixing her things, having an idea why this conversation took place.

"Say.. Why don't you come play with us for a change?.." Mina suggested. Her voice soft and inviting.

"What do you want from me?" Y/N asked, sensing the girl's desperation beneath a simple invite.

"We need you. Come play for us. I've heard that this year will be the last opportunity for our seniors to win a tournament, and honestly, at this rate.." Mina paused, a pained expression on her face.

"They have been so good to us, this is the least we could do, and seeing you play, gives me hope that we could make it." She continued.

"What's in it for me?" Y/N bluntly asked, taking Mina by surprise.

Mina realized that it was a favor she's asking, not just a simple invitation to join a club. It carried a responsibility that someone must willingly take upon. She knew she cannot force anyone to do anything. It was for her sister's sake, Michimiya Yui, the women's volleyball team captain whom she adored so much.

Seeing the sincerity and desperation in Mina's face, Y/N felt as if someone just showed their own vulnerability to her. Something that is yet another foreign thing to her. She thought of the kindness Tsukishima volunteered to offer when she herself was the one who was caught in her own insecurities.

"I'll give it a try." Y/N finally spoke.

It was as if, she was paying it forward, something that she can do for the kindness that was shown to her by the people she just met a few weeks ago. But there is just one problem...

Hamura, Mia.