Friends

As Y/N landed on her feet, her eyes met Tsukishima's. He cannot shake off the feeling of pride and it's shown on his face. He was utterly impressed and glad for bringing her along to practice.

"Quite a show and tell, Tsukishima" says an envious Tanaka while smacking the tall boy's back.

Kageyama was fired up, so was Daichi and Asahi.

"Alright, let's get 'em!" The team captain cheered.

----

It was a close fight. Y/N's team won by a point over repeated contests in reaching match points to win. Everyone was exhausted but Y/N was ecstatic. Her eyes were alive with glee. She was in the zone.

"Nice game, Y/N! I've got to say, you surprised us!" Daichi praised.

"Tsukishima, you should talk to your friend here and convince her to join the women's volleyball team. It's about time they win tournaments." Tanaka urged on.

"She'll join if she wants to. I'm not her mother." Tsukishima snided.

Friend. A word considered foreign to Y/N. She searched for confirmation from Tsukishima's eyes and she saw it. His gaze was that of someone who just accepted and acknowledged her presence. She even tried meeting eyes with almost all of the members of the team, including their 2 female managers. Their expressions sent warmth to her heart. Is this truly possible?

"Hi, I'm Hinata." Says a cheerful orange head who gleefuly approached her.

Y/N bowed in response.

"Let's have fun again tomorrow! But this time, I swear I'll beat you. Hahaha" The little boy reflecting the same passion Y/N have for playing didn't intimidate her. It was a healthy competition and she can read no grudge against her.

"Challenge accepted" Y/N confidently replied.

"Ara ara, enough now pipsqueak" Says Tsukishima, grabbing Hinata by the top of his head and pulling him away from Y/N.

"Alright, time to pack up people! Finish up and get some rest." Coach Ukai instructed.

Everyone cleaned up and went to the locker room to change. Y/N went to the nearest restroom to change back into her school uniform as well.

Tsukishima waited silently outside the restroom where Y/N was. Leaning against the wall, gazing up in the evening sky with his headphones on. In a while, Y/N appeared and he straightened up to walk slowly following her out to the gates.

The whole team was waiting there, a sight that Y/N doesn't see that often. She was thinking that it wasn't her they're waiting for but Tsukishima. She unconsciously came to a pause, Tsukishima passing her by a few steps ahead.

He noticed that Y/N stopped following so he turned to her and took his headphones off.

"What's up? Everybody's waiting." He asked.

"Tsukki!! Y/N!! Let's go!! We're going to Coach Ukai's store for snacks!!" Bellowed Hinata by the gates, standing with the rest of the team.

Y/N's eyes widened at the sound of her name being called out, like she was never a stranger.

"Why?" Her voice doubtful.

"Hm?" Tsukishima prodded.

"You should go ahead and leave with your friends. I'll walk home alone from here. They're waiting for you." Y/N imposed, averting her gaze.

"What are you talking about? You heard the pipsqueak. You're coming with us too." The blonde boy blurted, sensing Y/N's reluctance.

"Why include me? I'm just a stanger that you just met today" says the dark haired lass.

"Idiot. We're friends now, aren't we? Come along, now. They're waiting."

Tsukishima half-smiled before he turned away pacing towards the gates.

Y/N felt one of her walls break, freeing her body to move instictively towards a new path that had opened up in front of her. With small steps ahead, she began to slowly accept this genuine invitation.

They left as a rowdy pile of testosterone towards Coach Ukai's store. Bought snacks and chat for a short while.

Tsukishima watched Y/N from a distance, seeing her slowly open up to the team and talk about strategies with Kageyama Tobio, be unaffected by Hinata's persistence in winning against her in the next match, and unconsciously sending Tanaka and Nishinoya death glares when she felt like the two have been low-key drooling over her, having them end up with shivers creeping up their spine.

After a short while, each and everyone bid their goodbyes, leaving Tsukishima and Y/N behind.

"T-thank you, for today." Y/N stuttered. Averting her gaze from the boy who was stood in front of her.

Tsukishima saw a hint of sincere gratitude from her eyes, her face showing that she had the most fun time in her life so far, and wished that this would never end.

"Can I walk you home?" The boy asked.

Y/N never expected anything from her new school. She only wished for the tiresome repitition of deceit, bullying and loneliness to end. And here stood a certain somebody, who has been with her since the time they shared a spot for lunch, invited her to meet his team mates and have her play with them, given her a new set of friends, and is now offering his time and effort to accompany her home.

She stared into the boy's eyes, her expression, a mixture of gratitude, relief, disbelief, and sadness. A small nod was all she could manage as a reply.

They walked together in silence, under the bright moon. Tsukishima didn't need to intrude Y/N's thoughts for now, with questions about what had happened to her in the past and that made Y/N a lot more comfortable around him.

She hoped that this, whatever this may be, would last.