Team Play

As a practice game was about to start, Y/N was approached by the team's coach,

"Welcome to Karasuno's Male Volleyball Club, I'm Ukai, their coach, I heard it's your first day?"

"Yes" Y/N replied, in her usual monotone.

"I saw from the warm ups that you got skills. Any plans of joining the women's volleyball team?" The man prodded.

This has been the longest conversation Y/N has ever held in a very long time. A little anxiety creeping in.

"I don't know yet" Her eyes averting eye contact, yet again.

"C'mon, why don't you give it a try? It would be such a waste if you won't" The coach urged.

He earned a silent nod from the girl who was obviously becoming uncomfortable.

Seeing this, the coach decided not to push it any further.

"But for now, if you're not into it yet, you can play with us" Ukai said with a warm smile.

"Thank you. Sorry for the intrusion" Y/N instictively bowed apologetically.

"Now, now, it's fine. C'mon, let's play. Do you think you can handle these guys? They're low-key monsters, y'know." Ukai chuckled teasing.

"I'll never know 'til I try"

Ukai noticed an aura of competitiveness from Y/N as he heard those words. He can feel the thirst for victory from Y/N's dead serious face.

The teams were divided and Y/N was grouped against Tsukishima. Something she didn't expect. Even with a little panic rising from the pit of her stomach, the hunger to play carried a heavier weight.

Y/N was grouped with the team's main setter, a tall, black-haired boy, who carries the aura of command in the team, Kageyama Tobio, their team captain Sawamura, Daichi, and their ace Azumane, Asahi.

All of them came up to her to introduce themselves..

"Hi, Kageyama Tobio, setter. What's your position?"

"Middle blocker" Y/N replied.

"You want to spike?"

A little spark in her eyes cannot be unnoticed as Y/N heard the word.

A scoff came out of Tobio's lips.

"Alright, alright. I get it"

"Low and quick" she mumbled, averting her gaze again, too shy to make a request.

"Come again?" Tobio prompted.

"Set. Set it low and quick."

"Got it" Tobio's voice firm.

"Let's have fun, shall we? I'm Daichi, their team captain" says the senior of the team.

"Asahi here" coming from a long-haired, senior as well.

Y/N nodded and all teams positioned themselves for the game.

The other team consisted of Tsukishima, their senior setter Sugawara, their libero Nishinoya, and their regular middle blocker Hinata, a loud Tanaka was also in the team.

The whistle blew with Asahi on the serving line. Y/N by the front row.

He made a service ace, a really strong one at that, which took Y/N by surprise. Her mind browsing through possibilities if she can withstand this game or not. She would never know how to receive such a spike.

"One more time, Asahi" Daichi, shouted.

"Come at me!! Haha" screams a riled up libero from the other side of the court.

Asahi made another serve but was received by Nishinoya, connected to Sugawara who made a quick attack thru Hinata. No blocker made it in time.

Y/N, rather shaken by what's happening during the game, can feel the intense desire to catch up to the team's level. She fell in love with the intensity.

Tsukishima already in front of Y/N, with the net in between, went down to her level and smirked.

"Ara ara, what happened to you?" He teased.

Her eyes need not say more. Tsukishima was slightly taken aback by the burning desire in Y/N's eyes. Another surprising thing he learned about her. He was delighted and met her stare with the same amount of determination.

Y/N's team received the serve,

Without thinking, her body went into minus tempo, Kageyama caught this and made a set as he was told, low and quick.

Y/N, went for a near line straight, taking the opposing side by surprise.

The whistle blew, and a score went to Y/N's team.

---