fundy & niki x reader - bakery

this is strictly platonic and fluff!!

[EDITED sept 20, 2022]

you made your way down the sidewalk, your feet making a nice tapping sound against the damp concrete. your hands were in your sweatshirt pocket, your hood slightly over your head just to cover your ears. the stride that you carried was brisk, knowing where you were going and wanting to get there soon. it had just finished raining, the roofs of shops dripping water onto your head occasionally. it was freezing outside, and you couldn't ignore the ache in your stomach. it screamed at  you to eat.
finally, you reached the small bakery, walking in. the bell chimed happily, bringing a smile to your lips. you had been to this specific bakery for years now. it hasn't changed a bit, the air was warm, the quiet jazz music played throughout the cafe, the scent of baked goods filled your nose and gave you a sense of home. bakery's always smelt and felt good, but this one specifically smelt of pure euphoria.
a familiar blonde girl walked out of the back, heading toward the front. she wore a brown and white apron, matched with a black shirt and black leggings. her smile was bright and full, her makeup also done. it was natural, but still noticeable. her black eyeliner softly smudged under her eyes, flicked out in a wing that stopped short on her face. her lips are shiny with a clear lipgloss, and her inner corners are dusted with a white shimmer. she looks put together.
her eyes light up when she sees you, waving and smiling bigger than before. "(your name)! welcome back! would you like your usual?" niki asked, and you nodded your head.
"yes please niki! how has business been today?" you asked as she picked up your preferred drink size, writing your name on it, with a smiley face next to it.
she sighed and rolled her eyes, "very busy, this is the busiest we've been all year! i'm guessing it's because of how close christmas is." she says, moving to the coffee station to begin making your drink.
fundy walks out of the back, turning his gaze toward you and smiling softly. "hi (your name), it's great to see you again!" he smiled, moving up toward the counter. "how are you?"
"i'm doing good! it's been crazy cold today." you said, rubbing your hands together, blowing hot air on them. you lower your hood, smoothing down your hair that was sticking up.
"that's great! things have been busy, but we've managed well. right, niki?" fundy says, turning his gaze to the girl, who was now looking for the croissant that you always ordered. she gave a simple thumbs up and a soft "yep!" fundy laughed, as you did too. "we really could use the extra help, since it's just us."
"i'm surprised no one has applied to work here! there's good ratings on every app you can think of." you stated, and fundy just shrugged. you messed with your hoodie sleeves.
"we've had job applications here forever, always on the front table. niki and i can definitely manage ourselves, but it would be nice to have an extra hand." he explained and you nod.
"well, maybe i could work here?" you say, unsurely. you'd been thinking of getting a job recently, since you worked at a small bookstore, but you dont get much business or hours there.
that caught the attention of fundy and niki. niki popped her head up, fast walking her way over with your drink and food in hand. "that would be great! oh please do!" she said, handing you the order, and shaking her hand when you try to give her your card. "you know it's always on the house!"
     you sighed at that, they never ever let you pay once you became close. it was sweet, but always made you feel extremely guilty. you knew that they did get a bunch of orders a day, especially during christmas, but you still wanted to help some. they were your friends, and they worked hard to maintain this small shop of theirs.
     "i think i'll apply! i do need a job, and i have worked at a bakery before!" you say, a smile lit on your face.
     fundy walks out from behind the counter to give you a hug, and niki claps her hands excitedly. "i'm so excited! you don't need to apply, you can start tomorrow if you want!" she says, fundy nodding. niki takes a brown apron from the hooks behind the counter and presses it into your hands.
     you giggle, nodding your head while also trying to balance your cup and croissant. "okay! i'll be here tomorrow at," you trail off your sentence, fundy finishing it for you. "7:00! don't be late, (your name)." he jokes.
     you nod your head as your spirits are lifted much more than they already were. now you have a job, and you have a job with your two best friends! you quickly take out your wallet snd toss some change and bills into the tip jar, walking off before they can protest.