Operation: Rosebud Part 1

Chapter 3: Operation: Rosebud Part 1

Planet Iris, Chorus System, 2555

POV Change: Michael J. Caboose

Premise: As Locus is inducted into the Reds and Blues. Caboose must convince his friends to do the impossible...

"Caboose?" a voice muttered

Caboose turned around to see Ruby standing there. The room they were in was a blank grey room.

"Ruby?" he muttered in astonishment, "Ruby is that you?"

But she didn't respond to him, "Caboose where are you?"

"I'm standing right in front of you?" Caboose questioned

"Caboose?" Ruby repeated.

"Ruby, I'm right-'' as Caboose walked towards her and was going to grab her shoulder. She immediately faded away.

He looked at his hand before looking around the room.

"Ruby?" he worryingly asked

He then noticed ash falling from the sky, and the ground suddenly turned to rubble and grass. The sky was pitch black, and cloudy. Caboose turned around and a horrific sight. A large building up in flames, creatures with bone armor running towards it. Standing right in front of him was a silhouette of a woman with glowing amber eyes, with fire radiating from them. Lying in front of her was an injured Ruby.

Ruby looked up at Caboose, and stretched her hand out to him.

"You could've saved us...GAH!"

"No!"

A spear had suddenly formed in the woman's hand, and she impaled Ruby in the back. The reaper then rolled to the side, dead. It was then that Caboose noticed other bodies nearby, the bodies of Teams RWBY and JNPR to be exact.

The woman then looked at Caboose and stretched her hand out. Fire shot from her hand as Caboose blocked himself.

Caboose shot out of bed after the intense dream. He breathed heavily as sweat rolled down his skin. He then looked around the room for his team.

Tucker was sleeping with no shirt on, and possibly even no clothes on at all. A habit Wash had been trying to get Tucker to stop. But Tucker did have a blanket over him, so it was 'safe'

Wash himself was sleeping rather peacefully, he had a mask over his mouth that allowed oxygen to flow to his brain. The mask also pumped a non-lethal drug that allowed Wash to relax and sleep better.

Finally, there was Carolina. She was sleeping just across from Wash, and was lying on her side facing him. This was something she did to make sure that he was alright if something bad happened due to Wash's condition.

Caboose couldn't see the Reds as they had their own bunk, all with the exception of Lopez. Who actually had to sleep in the garage on a battery pad.

Caboose rolled outta bed and went down to a room where the Reds and Blue kept all their files. Whether it was psyche profiles, missions, anything. This place had it all.

Caboose found what he was looking for, a large file folder, filled with papers. The mission's name was plastered on it.

OPERATION: ROSEBUD

"I've gotta find you." Caboose replied, "You've helped me before."

Morning...

Mornings for the Reds and Blue were always the same. Sarge would be the first to wake up, make a full pot of coffee, drink only one cup, and then fire two shotgun shells to wake everyone up. But today things were different, when Sarge woke up, he noticed that someone already made coffee, and that everyone else was already. The only person who wasn't in their common room was Caboose.