Chapter LX

Ignoring the heavy banging in my chest, I slowly step out of the car and slam the door shut, clutching my side bag tightly as the sound of our shoes echoed in the parking lot. Only a few people I vaguely recognized were lurking outside, probably just pulling up here to attend the funeral.

There are aunt Peach and uncle Howard, my dad's older brother. From the look on their wrinkled faces, they look immensely bored already, even though we just saw their car pull inside the parking lot. Dad told me they flew from the other side of the country three days ago and stayed at a hotel for a few days, but he knew they weren't here for the funeral alone. They were going to brag about their millionaire life back home and express their fake sadness in front of everyone as if they even knew who Clarice was.

My parents go inside the funeral hall, where a few people were already seated, chatting quietly amongst themselves before noticing mom and dad and greeting them. I decided to not deal with family and listen to their fake sympathy and words of "love." So, I walk in the opposite direction and head for the small lounge room to my left, where Gabby said she and our friends were over text.

They're all huddled together on one side of the room while some guests stood on the opposite side. An elderly couple sent me a closed-lip smile and gave me that sympathetic nod before returning back to their conversation.

I roll my eyes as I walk over to my friends. Josh and Mason stand beside each other, facing me, so they immediately spot me and straighten up.

"Hey, baby," Josh snakes an arm around my waist and kisses my temple. "Are you holding up okay?"

"Yeah," I say, but it comes out flat and deflated.

Gabby purses her lips and rests her hand on my shoulder. "You've been so strong, chica. You can do this."

"You have us. Always." Mason smiles reassuringly.

Josh traces small, lazy patterns on the side of my waist with his fingers. "It'll get better, Rose."

I nod and stare at the ground, avoiding their gaze.

"Okay, you clearly have something to say, so spill it." Gabby folds her arms over her chest, looking at me expectantly.

I scoff. "No, I don't. Everything's fine." I seriously suck at lying.

"Something is bothering you, Emma." Definitely.

"Just tell us." I don't want to bother you.

"We're here for you, chica." Of course, I know that.

I sigh exasperatingly. "My mom's going to the hospital in a few minutes."

Josh blinks at me, confused. "Now?"

"Yes, now." I bark out. "Not sure when she'll come back, but dad said he'll pick her up."

I wanted her to be present throughout the funeral, from the beginning to the end, but compromising comes with being a doctor, at least, for mom, it does.

What's even wrong with the hospital staff? They can't handle a thing without my mom's presence, I swear.

A few minutes later, mom strolls in the room with her white coat hanging off her arm.

"Hey, sweetie. I'm leaving now." Mom says as she walks over to me, and I wiggle out of Josh's grip.

I frown at her. "You don't have a choice?"

"I wish I did, Emma." Mom sighs, and I could tell she didn't want to go. She holds out her hand with her phone in her palm. "My phone's dead, so you're going to take care of it until I get back. I promise I won't be long."