Chapter XXX

I felt like the strongest, most beautiful girl in the entire world under his twinkling gaze. It felt like Josh had reached the depths within my soul and awakened the Supergirl me. For ten years, the name Rose never held so much meaning in my life.

Now, it was like Josh breathed life back into the name. I felt like my carefree and badass self that didn't care what the world thought of her.

Right now, all I wanted to do was forget all my worries and troubles about the statue, my sister, the argument with my mom, and every other problem that's my life. It became too much to handle, and I wanted to relish this moment and just breathe, to remember what true happiness feels like, especially when you're in the arms of a mysterious, handsome Greek god that promised me safety.

I found myself leaning closer to him and closing my eyes, our lips inches apart. Josh's minty hot breath sent shivers down my spine, but I didn't care. I need this. I want this.

"You're vulnerable right now and not thinking straight, Rose. I can't, and I won't take advantage of you like that," Josh whispers hoarsely, ruining the moment, his voice laid with a hint of disappointment as he pulls back to look at me.

I'm disappointed for a split second before I register his words, and I feel my heart soaring, my lips twitching into a smile, and I nod my head in understanding.

Josh smiles warmly, and I swear my heart skips a few dozen beats, my mind going into overdrive when he plants a sweet, chaste kiss on my forehead.

If it weren't for Josh holding me right now, I would've swooned and bashed my head on the ground; my knees were giving out on me.

Just then, we hear a familiar voice call out to us from behind, breaking my happy little bubble and bringing me back to reality. I jump a foot apart and turn around to see who it was.

Mason, Ethan and Gabby were standing just outside the waiting room. Ethan and Gabby were wiggling their eyebrows suggestively at us while Mason's hard-rimmed eyes were fixed on Josh.

Josh seemed to ignore Mason's glare like it had no effect on him. He snakes his arm around my waist.

"We're here freaking out whether you're alive or not only to see you guys swapping spits?" Ethan exclaims, crossing his arms over his chest. "Do either of you care to fucking explain?"

I choke out a laugh, and Josh rolls his eyes, pulling me closer as I melt into his side. He lands a soft kiss on my forehead, and my heart explodes. He smiles down at me before letting go and walking past the group and into the waiting room, leaving me stunned and standing there to process what just happened.

The two boys and Gabby walk over to me, and Mason pulls me into a hug. "Are you okay?"

I pull back to look at him in the eyes. "I'm holding up."

Ethan's concerned green eyes pierce through my soul when we pull away from our hug, and he asks me about Clarice, and the crushing feeling returns to my body. The void in my chest slowly opens up again, and the memory of what happened almost two hours ago plays in my mind like a song stuck in my head, repeating itself for what seems like forever.

I remember what Josh told me when I was having my panic attack, and that's what I did. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale.

I gather the courage to say, "My sister is in a coma."

A series of curses and apologies go around Mason, Ethan and Gabby.

"I'm so sorry, Emma."

"Don't think you're the one to blame, because you're not."