Chapter XIV

Gabby answers after three rings. "Hey! Qué pasa, chica?"

I get straight to the point and start explaining everything about the angel statue from the day we bought it to what I just heard in the living room between my parents and my sister. Gabby is a little shocked to hear everything, but it sounded like she expected some of it to happen sooner or later. She asks me if I'm okay before I practically beg her to help me figure everything out because I don't even know what to believe in anymore. Gabby sighs and tells me that it wasn't her story to tell, and I feel my body deflate, a frown plastered on my face.

"Gabby, at least tell me something!" I plead, almost desperately.

She sighs in defeat. "Okay, look. Like Mason, Ethan and I had experienced weird things with the statue back when Mason used to own the statue. We always hung out together, so naturally, Ethan and I experienced some of Mason's things."

"How did Mason get the statue? I thought Josh owned it?" I ask. Gabby sighs, telling me that it's not her story to narrate, but she tells me that Mason lost two of the most important people in his life because of the statue, his uncle Jay and Penny. Gabby didn't specify who Penny was, and I didn't push her to tell me either. Gabby tells me that Mason refuses to talk about them because he wasn't over their loss and was still grieving them.

I figured Penny was "her" that Mason and Josh kept referring to earlier at school today, and even though I didn't know who Penny was, I felt terrible for Mason. He suffered the loss of two people he loved dearly; of course, it would be hard to talk about them. That's probably what made Mason want to sell the statue so it would free him and his family from suffering more damage and loss. It sounds selfish, but I wouldn't blame him. I'd probably have done the same thing if I were Mason.

What I don't understand is how Josh was related to all of this. How did he know Penny? Earlier today at school, when Mason and Josh were arguing, Josh mentioned "her" in the same way Mason did.

I ask Gabby if they ever tried to get rid of the statue or destroy it, and she says, "Of course we did, Emma. It just kept coming back even after we broke it with a sledgehammer or tossed it in a river or something. It attached itself to Mason and his family."

I sigh and nod my head in understanding before realizing she can't see me. "I get it. I'm just confused as to how Josh is involved in this." Gabby tells me that she knew I would mention this, but she says it's not her story to tell, which I understand. Either Josh or Mason could explain everything to me, and I don't expect to see that happening anytime soon.

Gabby apologizes for not explaining everything and assures me that she believes every word I told her. "You don't need to be sorry, chica. I'm glad you told me even a little bit," I tell her, meaning every word. I knew I could count on Gabby to talk with about anything.

Suddenly, Gabby grows serious and says with a solemn voice, "Emma, there's something you should know. It's going to sound insane, and I'm not even sure if it's true or not, but it's the only possible explanation."

I'm on high alert now, my curiosity building up like a lion fixated on its prey. I tighten my grip on my phone and hold it close against my ear, eager to find out what Gabby was trying to tell me.

I encourage Gabby to continue, and she asks, "Before I get into it, you said your nightmare felt too real, right? You also had a choke-mark around your neck before it faded away?" I nod and tell her that's precisely what happened. I draw my eyebrows together, feeling confused about why she was asking me this when I already told her.

Gabby takes a deep breath as if preparing herself to explain before saying, "Alright, listen. When any living creature looks at this angel statue, the statue turns to stone. The second you look away from it, the statue moves. When you look back, you might see the statue's posture has changed. It could have its arms dangling in front of it, or it could have some demonic expression plastered on its face."