Epilogue: Carter

Nine years later

I entered Maddie's room, sharing a look with Harper. She whimpered and tossed in the bed.

"Hey, hey." I said softly, touching her shoulder.

My daughter blinked awake and her lip trembled.

"It's okay. It's okay. It was just a nightmare." I said as she crawled into my arms.

"They were gonna get me, Daddy." My four year old whimpered.

"It's okay. It's okay, baby." I said as I rocked her gently. "I won't let anyone hurt you."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"Can we watch TV, Daddy?" She whispered.

I looked up at Harper.

"What do you think, Mummy?" I asked.

"I don't think any of us are sleeping tonight, are we?" She asked.

Taking our daughter's hand, we walked back to our room where we put the TV on.

Maddie nestled at my side and I pulled her close. Nothing was going to hurt her.

Harper and I shared a smile over Maddie's head and I thought about everything we had been through together.

I watched my two girls as they watched Finding Nemo, and tried to remember the last time I'd had a nightmare.

And since Maddie was born, I couldn't recall a single one.

The dark may be scary sometimes, but now I had two people to light up my world when I needed it most.

And I wasn't ever going to let them go.

A/N

Hey everyone, thank you so much for choosing to read this book and I hoped you enjoyed it. Do you think the ending was good enough? I struggle with endings sometimes. Let me know what you thought and thank you for giving this book a chance. I honestly didn't know what people would think about it and just decided to write it and see.

If you liked the book could you maybe recommend it to someone else? Thanks. Once again, thank you so much for sticking with me on this. 😊