Chapter 2

Once outside the classroom, I noticed Trish deep thoughts clouding her mind.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I patted her shoulder.

"No... Nothing Ella. It's just that, graduation is so soon, and we'll be parting ways. You know, I'm going to leave my best friend," tears suddenly fell from her eyes.

"Trish, I'll still be here. Graduation will never let us apart. We are still best friends, sisters remember?" I wiped away her tears and she half smiled at me. But I know there's something wrong with her. Something's bothering her which she's not telling me. "What is it?" I faced her. "I know something is wrong. Tell me."

She cried more and I hugged her reassuring her that I will be by her side, supporting her, whatever she's in to right now. Then she snatched my hanky and wiped her tears and blew her nose. Yuck. I thought while she's handling it back to me. I waved my hand as if telling her that it's ok. She can have it.

"Ella, I have something to tell you," she said sniffing.

"What is it? I am here for you, to listen. What's wrong?" Then she's suddenly back into tears. When she's ready, she faced me again fighting back her tears.

"I'm pregnant and I'm getting married." Tears started flowing from her eyes again.

"What?! When did you know? How did this happen? Who's the father?" I said to her with wide eyes.

"Ella, one by one. I can't answer your questions in one sentence!" She said, smile slightly showing in her face.

"Okay. I'm sorry for all the questions, but really I am intrigued. I know you are going out with Troy. But hey! Is it Troy? You told me that he's not a boyfriend material."

"Ella, it's not Troy. It's true when I said that he's neither a boyfriend material nor a husband material! I'll never ever settle with that kind of guy who only knows how to play basketball. And for heaven's sake! He's failed his course for 1-2-3 times?! No way!" Oh, yes. This is really Trish, my best friend. After blurting out, she managed to say, "It's Nathan. Remember? The one at Erika's party?"

"The hot guy with sparkling eyes?" I muttered in disbelief. "Oh c'mon Trish, you're kidding me."

"No, it's true Ella, after the party, when we separated, I was waiting for my driver when he approached me. He introduced himself and he got my attention. We had a talk and he asked me if he could bring me home. I said yes,I wonder why, but maybe because of his enchanting smile. While we were in the car, we passed by a bar, had a few drinks, few shots of Margarita. Oh stop looking at me like that Ella!" I was narrowing my eye on her and she did continue her story. "We were so drunk, he started kissing me and I kissed him back. Ella, I've never kissed a man before like that. From that moment, I know that I want him. Then I just woke up with him beside me and I remembered the night that we shared; our night of passion." Then she covered her face tears started flowing again.

I hugged her tight. What the hell do I know with kissing? I've never had a boy friend, nobody likes me, but Trish, oh she's so hot and dropped-dead gorgeous. I dismissed all my thoughts. She wanted him, and why the hell she's like this? I don't want to start questioning her. She's in pain. I can see it in her eyes. I never saw Trish cry like this before, she's young and carefree. Oh, my poor best friend. What happened?

When she managed to speak up again, there's a horrifying look on her face. No! That man can't be married! And why the hell did she take my best friend out. Many thoughts came rushing in my head. I can't bear this anymore. "Then?" is all I can manage to say.

"We still see each other every day, until one day, I remembered that I have missed my period. I was so worried and I told him about it. Both of us went to a drug store and bought a kit. I followed the instructions and from there revealed two lines. I read what that means and I looked up at him and said "Positive". He paled from what he heard and he started punching the wall. Oh, Ella. If you could only see him, he's so frightened of I don't know what. Me too, I am, but I just burst out into tears saying I'm sorry to him. I didn't know that it could happen in just one night. I really didn't know it would be like this."

"Then he calmed me, soothing my hair. He said he wasn't ready for this but he's not going away from his responsibility. Then we came up to a plan," Trish said with a hint of smile on her face.

Wide eyed, I listened to her. "He said he will be a father to my child, but no marriage. We would still be single but we will both take care of the baby. He will provide for his needs." She continues, "And for a fact that we are still young to be married, it's a good decision for both of us. When we're both ready then we'll decide on such things." Yeah right, both of you were too young for marriage but haven't you thought about having a baby at an early age? My mind wants to ask her this but I don't want to add up on the burden she's having right now.

"But my mom, especially my dad..", she started crying again, "when they knew about this, they were really mad. Hell mad! They insisted to talk to Nathan and forced him, us to marry," shaking her head in disbelief. "I can't believe them that they are pushing me into this kind of situation, they said that the baby should have his father's name. But he could have mine, right?"

"Trish your parents are right. The baby should bear his name. Marriage is the only way for your child to be legitimate," I don't know if those are the right words to say to her. But, for me, it's true.

She nodded as if considering my point. Then suddenly there's an incoming call on her phone. "It's Nathan. Wait a minute." She said and turned her back to answer the phone. "Hi, yeah, I'm going. Just have to say good bye to Ella. Love you."When she faced me again, I can see sadness all over her face, or maybe she's more of frightened, "'Gotta go Ella, he's waiting for me," pointing out her finger at a Blue Saab in front of us. She hurriedly went to the car, and there's Nathan coming out of the car. I can't hear what he's saying but he's shouting at Trish! He even dragged her at the passenger's seat, and slammed the door and made his way to driver's seat and pressed on his gears and speed away. Shocked with what happened and just prayed that everything's ok with Trish. I never see her like this, a cry-baby, a submissive to another person. She's just not her.