Chapter 17

When we reached the house it’s already seven in the morning.

“I got to shower fast, I have a meeting at eight,” my dad hurried himself to the stairs.

“I won’t be going with you honey, I’ll stay at home,” she told my dad and then looked at me.

“I want to spend some time with you, sweetie.”

“Ma! Stop it. You can’t get anything from me!” I run to my room as if I have been followed by a monster. I closed my door and lay down my bed.

I closed my eyes. ‘I had, but she left me’ I can hear his sad voice.

“No! Stop it!”I shook my head in case those words might disappear in my head.

“He’s hurt when he said that.” I can’t imagine that there was a time that a girl left him.

“Justin, if only I can erase all your pain. But I am not sure if I can take the risk of being with you. I want you but I don’t know if you want me too.”

It’s been a long day of ignoring my mom’s interrogation. Yes, she stayed here in the house just to get some answers from me.

But what can I tell her? She’s been asking me if he’s my boyfriend, or my special someone. How many times have we dated? What’s the real score between us?

“Ma! I can’t tell you anything because I don’t know a thing. We’ve just met, and we rarely see each other.” I hissed.

“Okay, I’m sorry sweetie.”

“Mom, I’m sorry I shouted at you.” I hugged her.

“It’s just that I am excited, at last you are talking to some guy and he even kissed you on your forehead!” She narrowed her eyes on me.

“Ma, he just said good bye, that’s all.”

“What does he look like? I didn’t see his face because when we saw you he already kissed you and left.”

“You didn’t see his face?” Good. I thought.

“Yes, I just know that he’s tall and I know from a far, he’s handsome.” She smiled.

I smiled at her comment of Justin being handsome. He’s a god mom! If only I can tell her, but no, I won’t.

“Yes, he is.” I hid my smile with my poker face.

“You can invite him over.”

“Mom, we’re not that close!”

“Oh I just had a thought. Sorry.”

“It’s okay mom.” I squeezed her hand. “Still worried if I’ll get married?”

“Yup, after…” she stopped.

“Mom, it’s from the past and I don’t want to remember everything. I have moved on.” I gave her a weak smile.

“I know sweetie, I’m really sorry.”

I just hugged my mom and then asked her if she could cook some Chicken Casserole for me. I’m craving!

She said yes if I would help her in the kitchen.

I followed her and became her sous chef.

“Yummy as ever!”

“I will teach you some of my recipes sweetie.”

“Sure mom thanks.”

“I can smell a very delicious dish.”

“Dad, you are already here!”

“Yes, I am here. Can we eat already? I’m really hungry.”

I grabbed his things and placed them aside. I ushered him at our dining table and told him to wait as we serve dinner.

I placed five plates with pairs of spoon and fork. Five; one for dad, mom, me, Manong Luisa and Manong Jun. Yes, they will be joining us for dinner. This is a very rare occasion.

When we were all seated, we started with a prayer then ate. We are all happy today.

As usual, after dinner, I helped Manang Luisa with the dishes while my parents went to their room to rest.

As I finished, I went to my room and I need to freshen up. I took a bath, so refreshing after the whole day’s happenings. Before I go to sleep, I prayed to thank for this wonderful day. I really had a great day but I am still thinking of Justin’s words, ‘I had, but she left me.’