Chapter 11

“Hey, sweetie. Wake up. It’s time for dinner.”

“Mom, you’re here!” I hugged her.

“Yes, we are definitely here my dear.”

“Dad!” I hurried to him and hugged him tight.

“We missed you so much dear, can you join us for dinner?”

“Yes of course dad. Mom, let’s go. I’m really hungry.”

The table is already set. There are lots of foods. Carbonara, Chicken Ala King, Beef Stew, Sweet and Sour Fish Fillet and my favorite Triple Chocolate Cake! What a feast!

“Sweetie, how’s Trish’ wedding?” my mom asked me.

“It’s fine mom, it’s really like a fairy tale. When the princess finally meets her prince and then, they decide to marry to live a happy ever after,” I answered dreamily.

“Have you found him?” I nearly choked when my mom asked me that. How did she know? Is she spying on me? I looked at her curiously.

“Sweetie, what I meant was, have you found a guy in her wedding, someone to date?”

“Ma, don’t push her. She’s still young and she’s still my baby.” That’s my dad.

“Pa, she has to explore. She’s not getting any younger. Look at her best friend, she’s married now.”

My mom held my hand, “Sweetie, I didn’t mean that you marry now. Just go out with some guys, date some. You might not know he’s just out there. Enjoy, you are so young and pretty.”

“Mom, Dad, I know both of you care for me. I know someday I’ll meet him,” I looked at my mother’s eyes and she nodded. “And dad, yes, I will be your baby forever.” I stood up and hugged them both. How I missed the company of my parents.

When we all finished eating, I told my mom that I am going to help Manang Luisa with the dishes. I’m a grown up now and I know how to wash the dishes.

“Ella, you don’t have to do this.”

“Manang, please let me help you. I slept in my room since I arrived from the hotel. I haven’t done anything productive all this day,” I winked at her.

“Ella, you are such a wonderful child. I know that you will also be a good girl friend and a wife and a mother to your children,” tears forming in her eyes.

“Manang!” I just hugged her and tears fell from my eyes. She has mentioned ‘children’ in which is a very sensitive word for her. “You’ve been a good 2nd mother to me.”

I wiped away her tears and she gave me a sweet smile. “Thank you.”

When I finished the dishes, I started going back to my room when Manang Luisa handed me my glass of milk. Manang never fails to do this.

When I reached the top of the stairs, I looked at my parents’ room. What if I sleep with them? I giggled. I sneaked to my parents’ room and yes, it’s not locked. I opened the door and I jumped on their bed.

“What the…?!” my mom turned to see me at her side.

“What are you doing here?” her eyes wide.

“C-can I sleep with you and dad? Oh please mom, I just missed you so much,” I said with teary eyes.

“But El…” my mom wasn’t able to finish her sentence when my dad spoke. “Let her. Come dear, you lie in between us.”

“Yey!” And I jumped and cuddled my dad. I kissed my mom and dad good night and hugged my dad so tight. My mom just raised her hands as a sign of defeat.

I heard my dad said, “She’s now a lady but she will always be my little baby” and I felt a kiss on my forehead. I smiled and fell asleep.