63.

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER COULD CAUSE TRIGGERS.

Hero

"PICK UP YOUR FUCKING PHONE JESSICA" I yell at my phone screen before tossing it onto the bed after getting her voicemail for the fourth time.

I know she's probably upset, not to mention apprehensive that I haven't gotten there yet, but she knows how anxious I get when she doesn't respond.

I open her closet, pulling the scarlet suit from its hanger. I know she wanted me to wear the black dress shirt, but I also know that shades of red are her favorite, so I don't think she'll complain.

This makes more of a statement anyway, and I want to make an impression. Not for her mum, I couldn't care less what she thinks of me, but for Jess, I want to look good for her, make her proud to say, "that's my boyfriend!" She pretends she doesn't care or like it when we match, but I know deep down she does, which is why my tie is black, just like her dress.

"Hey, this is Jess lea-"

"Damnit," I groan, hanging up, not even letting it finish.

"Why did there have to be technical difficulties with that fucking conference call? Why didn't I go with her? If something happens I-"

I wrap the tie around my neck and head into the bathroom. While switching on the light, I see her phone sitting on the sink counter.

"Shit," I fix my tie quickly, then pick my jacket up. "I'll put it on when I get there" I grab her phone and head for the door.

****

I pull into the driveway, pull away from the other cars, and park in front of the house.

Jess wasn't kidding when she said looks could be deceiving; I was expecting nice, but not this nice.

I get out of the car, pulling my jacket on as I walk up to the door "do I ring the bell or just walk in?"

"Walk in," I agree with myself. Pushing the door open, I start to make my way around.

"Jess said this was supposed to be Maria's friends. Why are so many people here?"

I can feel my anxiety rising more and more. I know how she gets when it comes to large groups of people, especially when she doesn't know them.

"What the fuck!" I mumble, looking into the kitchen "where is she?" I have searched everywhere! "Wait, is that?" I walk over to the table, where I see her bag sitting.

I run my hand through my hair as I start calling her name, not giving a shit what people think; I'm opening doors and closing them.

"Fucksakes, why is the bottom half of this house so fucking big!"

"JESSICA"

"JESSICA"

"JES-"

I'm suddenly interrupted "excuse me!" I turn in the voice's direction and just as I guessed.