the artist

CHARLOTTE
FRIDAY, SEP 10TH, 2020

I was sat in English when I felt a familiar presence lean closer to me. "you should come to mine after school, we can watch a movie if you want" Louis said, "i would love that" i said back. As i turned around to look at him, I noticed a huge smile form on his face so I smiled back.

When school was over we caught the bus to Louis house. I now understood what he meant when he said it was lonely. The house was huge for only 2 people to be living in it. It had huge glass windows and a huge porch out the front with a chair swing.

As he opened the door he lead me straight upstairs to his bedroom. His walls were grey and he had canvas everywhere, some empty and some with what I assumed was his own artwork on them. I studied the room eventually picking up one of his paintings and examining it. It had the outline sketch of a girl on it.

He looked at me with a look on his face that was full of light. "why do you paint?" i asked intrigued to hear his answer. "Painting is a metaphor for control" the boy said as he cleared his throat. "Every choice is mine the canvas, the colour" he stopped for a moment thinking of what to say next. "As a child i had neither a sense of the world nor my place in it but art taught me that ones vision can be achieved with sheer force of will." he continued. The boy walked over to his bookshelf and picked out a book with a ton of pink sticky notes stuck throughout it. "I almost forgot" he said as he walked over to me and held out the book. It was the notebook. He had already finished it even though she had only just given him it a couple of days beforehand. "I just wanted to put some notes in the margin for you" he said softly "you know incase you want to read it again" he continued. "louis" i said as my heart began to melt. I walked closer to him and embraced him into a hug. "So what did you think" I whispered into his ear. "It was a beautiful story" he replied "and..?" I said with a grin on my face." "Still not my thing" he replied.

"I can't believe you don't want to fall in love one day" I said still surprised that he hadn't changed his mind. "Who said I don't want to fall in love." He replied as a smile formed across his face. "Um you did like a couple of days ago" I said with a giggle. "Why don't you?" I continued darkening the mood, "easy, I don't want my happiness to depend on wether a person gives me there attention or not. I don't want to stay up late wondering wether she is thinking about me. I don't want to cry over someone who may not care. I don't want to stare at my phone screen waiting for a text from them. Most importantly I don't want to give anyone the power to destroy me" he voiced. His words were quite meaningful and he did have some valid points but still I had to disagree.

"Alright, that's true even I agree that love can hurt but the thing about it is, the right kind of love will be worth all the pain in the world, even if you only get to experience it once. After all life's to short to deny yourself all the joy and passion that comes with love." I said as he looked up at me and smiled, "you have a beautiful mind charlotte, don't let anyone change the way you think." he said. I smiled back at him politely.

As he lead me back downstairs to the living room, Louis grabbed the tv remote and scrolled through netflix until he found "the notebook". "Take a seat, I'll go get us something to eat" he said softly. I took a seat on the couch, it was not much longer until louis walked back into the room and sat next to me with a bag of crisps. Throughout the movie I found the gap between us getting smaller and smaller and eventually I ended up fast asleep in his arms.

It was 1am and I woke up to the sound of rain. I was still in his arms but I had to go home, I told River and Elliot I'd be home by midnight they're probably wondering where I am, I though to myself. I quietly removed myself from his grip but he woke up straight away. "Trying to sneak off are you" he said with a grin his face. "No actually I told my brothers I'd be home an hour ago" I said back to him worried that they would be at home worrying. "let me drive you, my dads out with his mates so I can take his car." Louis said. "Okay, thank you i replied."

The drive back to mine was quiet I pretty much stared out the window the entire time until we got there. "Wait" he said as I was just about to get out of the car. "Charlotte.."I looked back at him, as my eyebrows furrowed, and Louis ran a hand through his hair nervously. "Um," he said, tugging on the strands of his soft, dark brown hair. "I never got your number."

this chapter was trash, i'm sorry but i'll try upload the next chapter soon.
I'm going back to school now so I'm not sure how often I'm gonna be able to update this book but I will try my best!!