midnight memories

LOUIS
SATURDAY, NOV 18th, 2020

They snuck out of Charlotte's house through the side door Louis had entered through and crept across the front yard. It was a small walk from Charlotte's front door to the gate, but still they were terrified that someone would see them, and come out screaming and yelling. No one did though. They walked to the park down the road. The street outside was deserted. It was like they were the only two people in the world.  "Where do you wanna go?" Louis asked, as they sat on the bench,  "Anywhere."  Anywhere turned out to be a diner a couple of blocks away. The only person inside was a waitress with dyed pink hair, who looked like she was in her mid-forties. She was dancing around to the wham song on the speakers when they walked in, and didn't bother stopping once she saw them. 

They slid into a booth seat by the window. "I've never been here before" charlotte said, browsing the menu in front of her. She was still in her pyjamas, an oversized shirt and black shorts.  "I come here all the time, you know.. to get away from dad " Louis said. "They make the best chocolate milkshakes."  The waitress came up to their table a moment later. "Anything to drink, kids?"  "Chocolate milkshake" Louis said, then remembered his manners and added, "Please."  "Me too please," Charlotte said, forcing a quick smile.  "Sure thing." The waitress scribbled a few words down on her notepad. "I'll be back in a few with your drinks." Once she had walked away, Louis kicked charlotte's foot gently under the table. "How are you?" he asked.  She sent him a small smile. "Better," she said, then reached forward and took one of his hands in both of hers. "Louis...why don't you ever talk about your mum?" She asked.

His smile dropped and he looked down frowning. Charlotte immediately regretted asking, she knew it must've been a touchy topic if he never brought it up himself. It was quiet for a moment but then he began to speak. "Well, her and dad were happily married until i was about 5 but then dad lost his job, they started arguing. By the time i was 6 mum had found herself a new boyfriend, she divorced my dad and just left us. She never even said goodbye to me, she just left me with him, god i know my dads bad but if i'm being completely honest she's so much worse." He said, a tear falling down his cheek. "She just left her own son and husband for some rich, pommy twat." he continued. "Louis, i am so sorry" she said. "i'm better of without her anyways." He said wiping his tears.

Charlotte quickly changed the topic, as curious as she was at why Louis thought the way he did about love, she now understood why. The boy had been nothing but abandoned his whole life, even by his own mother. They talked about many things, school, books, art and pretty much everything else they had in common.

After a moment she noticed him staring. "Why are you looking at me like that." She said forming a big smile across her face. "Because you're beautiful." He said smirking. She smiled back at him, her cheeks turning slightly pink. It was dark out side now, probably around 9pm, the two began walking back down the street towards the park.

"Where do you want to go to now?"  "Anywhere," she said again, so Louis nodded.  "Anywhere it is, then," he said.  Eventually they ended up at the park. The park is where the two had made many of there memories but there wasn't really much to do in the small neighbour where they lived. "This park is so beautiful." Charlotte said. For a park, it was a pleasantly nice one, with tons of pretty flowers and a pond. "It is," Louis agreed, looking at her. They heard a growl of thunder, as it began pouring down with rain.

"Come on." She let go of his hand and then ran into the middle of the park, her hair getting drenched  wet from the rain, and her mascara starting to smudge. "It's so nice!" she yelled to him.  He looked at her with the biggest grin and then began to run towards her. "You call this nice?"  "I love it!" Charlotte said. She was laughing, she looked up at the sky as the rain drenched them both. He put his hands on her waist and pulled her towards him, leaving there faces only about 5cm apart. he leaned in kissing her on the lips, as she wrapped her arms around his neck. They could hear music in the distance, it must've been a concert in central london that they could hear from just out of town. "don't you see me? I, I think i'm falling, i'm falling for you. And don't you need me? I, I think I'm falling, I'm falling for you." was what they could hear in the distance. She moved her hands from around his neck, to having one around his waist and the other in his hand, as they swayed to the faint beat of the song.

"Charlotte.." Louis said, as she rested her head in the crook of his neck, still swaying to the faint music. "Yeah" she said. "Why do you love looking at the stars so much." He asked. She had never gone fully into why she was so intrigued about the stars and the moon. "There's this big great galaxy out there, and other galaxies, so many hundreds of thousands of places and planets and suns that are so much bigger than us, that we will never even come close to. And we're here on this tiny little earth pretending that we're significant. I just think it's incredible how we can see the stars, the sun and the moon and they look so close yet in reality they are so far away." She struck him speechless. "You're really deep in the early morning."  "Isn't everyone?" She said, looking up and staring at the stars."I think that's the beauty of it. This is the time when people come alive, Louis."  Louis tried his best to focus on the stars, like she was, but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't take his eyes off her. He was truly and utterly awestruck.

I hope you all loved this chapter 💗