letting go

CHARLOTTE
SATURDAY, NOV 11th 2020

It was cold out as Louis walked up to Charlotte's front door. Suddenly a skinny, pale figure opened the door. "What do you want" Margaret snapped, causing Louis to shake. "Is Charlotte home?" he said politely. Despite how much he hated Margaret for how she treated her children, he thought a good first impression would be a good idea. "No she's gone out." "You must be the boy she's been hanging around lately" "yeah I'm Louis" he said quietly holding out his hand for her to shake. She quickly denied before saying "you're the reason she won't leave." She said angrily "you have to let her go. she'll never be able to go to college if you're here." she continued saying, giving the boy a dirty look.

As much as Louis hated to admit it she was right. He was the reason she didn't want to leave, he was holding her back from her dream. He quickly turned around walking down the street back home. A tear fell down his cheek as he reached the end of her driveway. His mind was a wild canvas of confusion. He couldn't sleep that night what Margaret had said kept running through his head every time he closed his eyes. He suddenly came to the realisation that there was no other way. He had to do it.

He woke up to the touch of two hands wrapped around his waist. "morning" they whispered. His eyes slowly opened and revealed the woman he had fallen in love with. She smiled before placing a kiss on his forehead. "Come on i already made you breakfast, it's gonna get cold" she whined. "Okay I'll be down in a sec" he said, still half a sleep. He was tired. In the end he probably only got around an hour of sleep. Eventually his mind got to tired to think. He had decided he would break the news to her after breakfast, giving them one last chance to be happy together.

As he walked downstairs he could smell the scent of a full English breakfast, just what he had been craving. He could barely eat it though, he felt so guilty he couldn't get himself to chew. "What's wrong with it?" she said disappointingly. "Nothing it's perfect, I'm just not that hungry that's all."

"Is everything okay?" She asked walking towards him and sitting down next to him. "Yeah" he said avoid eye contact. He couldn't look, he knew not long after now that she would look at him crying which would hurt him more than ever. "You're lying again." She said grabbing his hand. He pulled away slowly. He had to do it. He had to get it over and done with.

"I have to tell you the truth." He said raising his voice, causing her to jump. "What" "what do you mean" she said worryingly. He just sat there in silence. "What do you mean the truth Louis." She said looking him in the eyes. "The truth is I never loved you, I was only pretending." He said sharply. Although he did not mean it, it sure as hell sounded like he did. Tears began falling down her face. "You're joking." She said, "Louis you're lying right, this is all just a joke." She said looking at him. He wouldn't even look at her. "I'm not" he replied. The pain she felt in her heart, the moment he replied could never be described in words. "Why" she cried. "Is there somebody else." "Tell me there isn't somebody else." She shouted, the tears flowing heavily down her cheeks. "You can't really blame me can you" "Who could ever love a girl like you" He said, leaving her speechless. She just sat there at the opposite side of the room baling her eyes out.
"She's better than you. You're just too much Char, too hard to love." That was officially it. That sentence right there. Too hard to love. The one thing she was most scared of in the world had finally gotten to her. "How?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper. She saw him look up in confusion. There was no anger in her voice as she said, "How can you stop loving me overnight? I'm confused, Louis. I don't understand. Or . . . have you not loved me at all, this whole time?"

Only he knew the answer to that. He loved her. God he loved her more than anything else in the world, but that's was why he had to let her go. There two sat there in silence for a moment. "Perhaps i was always bound to leave you broken." he whispered. This caused her to break out of her moment of shock. She was not only sad but also angry. "Who is it." "Who is this other girl, if you don't tell me then i'm not going to believe any of this, or that any of what your saying is true because I know this isn't you Louis." he sat there quietly. He knew that Bianca, a girl in there grade had liked him for years. The two used to hook up all the time in eleventh grade. He never loved her though but she was first person he could think of. "Bianca" he said. This only caused Charlotte's heart to break more. "She's better than you. You're just too much char. Too hard to love." This wasn't the Louis she knew. How could he do something like this. "I'm gonna give you until I walk out that door to tell me that this is all a big lie, okay. And if not then...then I never wanna see you again." She said crying. She walked slowly, praying, praying oh so much that she would hear him even so as much as mumble or just say one word so that she could stop and he could tell her it was all just a lie. But that didn't happen.

He didn't say a word. He just sat there staring at the wall where she was sat before. He didn't even blink. So she continued. And when she got to the door. She opened it as slowly as she could've before stepping into the cold outside and slamming the door shut. When she got home she go straight into bed, avoiding any conversation Margaret or even her brothers has tried to start with her. She wrapped her self tightly in her covers, letting the tears fall out. She'd never tell him how much she cried that day. She had never in her whole life felt so broken. It's crazy how someone can be your entire world and then just like that they disappear from your life like you never knew each other. They break you in a way you didn't know you could break, and leave you all alone to put together the pieces. Little did she know Louis felt the exact same. He had broken the girl who loved him more than she loved herself.