displaced

CHARLOTTE
THURSDAY, NOV 2nd, 2020

When Charlotte got home, she saw her mother Margaret smoking against the counter. Margaret's hair was just thrown up into a messy bun, her makeup smudged and her dress slightly ripped. Charlotte looked in the direction of her mother looking slightly next to her at a framed photo. It was the last family photo they had taken before there dad had passed away. She wasn't the best mother either back then but she tried harder than she did now. It surprised Charlotte how pretty her mother looked in that moment. She thought to herself about how pretty her mum would still be if she didn't ruin herself so badly.

The house seemed almost empty. River had given up on maths homework and had instead gone outside to kick the football around with there younger brother Eli. It was strange, to have things so quiet and relaxing. But as long as it kept her mind off of Louis and how badly she wanted to feel his touch again. she was fine.

The next day was just grey. Louis passed her once or twice at school, but they didn't talk, and he didn't catch her eyes. She didn't allow herself to take offense. He was with his friends, and she spent most of her day with Madi, and to be completely honest if she was in his position, she wouldn't want to speak to her either. Part of her regretted ignoring him for so long. She should've just forgiven him as soon as she walked away. Louis was good. He was kind and would sacrifice everything for the people he loved. But she couldn't let him in, she wasn't enough for him, and she didn't want to make him deal with her shit. Yet she still regretted everything. But as much as she wanted to walk up to him and let him hold her, she just couldn't. She forced it out of her mind, and that was that.

When Charlotte got back home, she dumped her schoolbag in the hallway and walked into the kitchen when Margaret was stood. She stood up straighter and cleared her throat, but Charlotte just shook her head, not meeting her mother's eyes. "I don't wanna hear it," Charlotte said, cutting Margaret off. It was a Thursday night, and Charlottes back was sore and her head pounded. She wasn't in the mood to listen to her mother's words. "Come back. I wasn't gonna yell at you." Margaret said as Charlotte turned back. "You don't even know what I was going to say." "Yes I do, and to be fucking honest I'd rather go sleep than deal with your shit right now." Charlotte said. What she had said was rude. She knew it as soon as she said it, but there was no going back, and after everything her mother had put her through, she didn't regret it.

Margarets jaw clenched in anger. "Just tell me one thing, then," her mother grated out. "What happened to that boy you used to sneak in all the time?" "I don't know who you're talking about" Charlotte replied avoiding eye contact. Who that boy was didn't need to be clarified. "Did he leave you?" Her mother continued. "No," Charlotte said, quickly.

It sounded as though she was lying. "I don't blame him, you're useless." Margaret said raising her voice, as she took a sip of the bottle of vodka in her hand. "Are you, Mum, gonna stop blaming the reason you're a shit mother on that fact that dad died. Or that you're a fucking a university drop-out doing drugs every night instead of looking after your children. " There was a moment of silence, and then Morgan said, "Get out." Her voice was cold. When Charlotte didn't move, she said it again, the anger rising in her tone. "Get the fuck out of my house!" Suddenly River appeared in the room. His eyes met Charlotte's. "What's going on?" he asked. Margaret had her lighter in one hand and a new cigarette in the other. "I thought I told you to get the fuck out." Margaret said, looking between them. "What? You can't kick her out, Mum. It's Charlotte." River said softly. "I don't care" Margaret said raising her voice once again. "Stay here, Riv. Don't worry about me." She said quitely. "I'll be back home soon, just look after Eli until I get back." Charlotte stood up straight again, then turned back to Margaret before turning around and walking out the door, slamming it shut behind her. She slid her back down the door until she hit the ground, pulling her knees to her chest. She had nothing out here nothing except the phone in her pocket and a hair tie on her wrist.

It was cold out, she felt her skin turn icy cold. It was snowing and the wind blew heavily. After a few minutes, she forced herself to her feet. She had nowhere to go, but she made herself continue to walk down the street anyways. If she didn't do something, she'd probably end up crying again. How could she keep River and Elliot strong if she was so fucking weak? She kept walking, it was 7 o'clock when she realised she was standing in front of a familiar house. The streets were empty and as much as she didn't want to do it, she had absolutely no where else to go.

"Fuck," she muttered, as sat on the curb, her elbows on her knees. She was wondering if she should call Madi or not. It would be the more logical choice, and would make so much more sense, but Madi wasn't the one who Charlotte wanted to see. Not now.

Eventually after awhile of thinking she forced every bone in her body to get her to stand up and walk towards his door. When she got there she knocked. Absolutely terrified at what would happen next. She heard the faint sound of footsteps getting closer and closer and when the door finally opened.. there he was. Standing there in his pajamas, with his soft, messy hair falling in front of his face. She looked up at him and the two made eye contact. Suddenly she froze. It had been forever since she had gotten lost in his pretty brown eyes.