Chapter 61

“I-I can’t.”
    Norway rounded the corner to see three figures standing out in the hall. Norway immediately recognized Mary, who was staring down at her hands with tired eyes. England stood in front of her and Romania next to her. Soren met Norway’s gaze as he quickened his pace. Mary looked up as she reached him, and she visible relaxed and sighed, quietly. She turned toward him, but then paused and looked back down at her hands.
    “What’s up?” Denmark asked as he came up beside them.
    “Nothing too surprising,” England said, crossing his shivering arms. “Her magic is flaring up, is all.”
    “Yeah, no big deal,” Denmark said sarcastically, looking at Mary. “Are you okay? It’s super good to s-see you.” He inhaled sharply and crossed his arms, too. “Why is it so cold?”
    “Sorry,” Mary whispered. Norway frowned slightly. He hadn’t noticed.
    “Thank goodness your here, Norway,” England said, stamping his feet. “I was afraid I was going to freeze to death. No offense,” he glanced at Mary, but she didn’t seem to notice the apology. “But I think you can help her. You probably know more about this kind of magic than I do, anyw—“ he sneezed and took a step back. “I’ll catch up with you guys later.”
    And then he turned and hurried into the ballroom.
    “You should go find Finland and Sweden, Matthias,” Norway said, glancing at him, “They’re probably vorried about you.”
    Matthias didn’t argue but nodded and headed toward the door.
    “Hi and bye, Mary!” he exclaimed, grinning at her over his shoulder.
    Mary waved, managing a closed-mouth smile in return. As she waved, snowflakes began to whirl around her hands. When she dropped her arm, they floated softly to the ground. She noticed them, and sighed in frustration. Romania giggled, and she looked at him.
    “Sorry,” he said, shuffling his feet. “I know this is serious, but… it’s just so cute. And look, Norway is here, and everything will be okay again.” He smiled. “Having magic isn’t so bad once you learn to control it. And I will bet you ten leu that it’s only acting up because… because of… well,” his smile fell. “Tonight was terrifying for everyone.”
    And then he stepped back, looking at the ground.
    “I’ll be leaving you now, I have to find my brother. I wish you both good fortune.” And then he turned and rushed into the ballroom, like he was running away from them.
    “Can I see?” Norway asked quietly once Soren was out of sight, taking a step closer to Mary. She met his gaze, looking ruffled and tired, but still beautiful in his eyes.
    She held out her hands to him, hesitantly, and he took them. He felt the magic practically radiating off her skin.
    “Ja, nerves,” he said. “Soren is right. Magic is closely tied to emotions, so it’s no surprise that your powers are acting up in this vay.”
    He released her hands and stepped back, a twinge of guilt twisting his stomach.
    “It von’t always be this bad, I promise,” he finished.
    “Okay,” she whispered, looking down.
    They were both quiet for a long time.
    “Doesn’t it affect you?” she asked, hoarsely, lifting her head.
    “Nei, not at all,” he reassured. “I’m used to lower temperatures.”
    “Then… why did you let go?” she asked, looking at her hands. He stayed silent for awhile, looking through the doorway into the ballroom. The bar on the balcony was busier than ever, and countries stood around, talking with each other, though it appeared that many of them had left.
    “I’m sorry,” he whispered, looking back at her. “I’m so sorry… for everything. Your magic is acting up because of me. I—“
    “I’m the one who is sorry, Lukas,” she interrupted. “None of this would’ve happened tonight if I hadn’t overreacted. It’s my fault. And this,” she waved her hands around, making more snowflakes, “isn’t such a big deal, if it really doesn’t bother you.”
    And then she stepped forward and hugged him. He closed his eyes and hugged her back.
    She stepped away from him after a minute of silence, covering a yawn with one hand.
    “I’m so tired…” she said, shaking her head. “And… faint… I think I need to sit down.”
    “There’s a bench in the front hall,” he suggested, and she nodded.
    “That’s a good idea,” she said as they walked. “Because I… I also don’t think I can be around people right now…”
    “Do you vant to be alone?” he whispered, pausing to let her pass him. Norway noticed that small ovals of ice were left behind Mary instead of footprints.
    “Oh no! No, no, please stay,” she said in a panic, whirling around to look at him. He caught up with her and nodded, solemnly.
    They found the wooden bench, which was near the bottom of the stairs, and they sat down next to each other.
    “Thanks for… staying with me, even though I’m like this,” she held up her hand, and now that they were in brighter light, he saw that her fingers were covered in frost. “Also, thanks for coming back so quickly,” she went on, “They were trying to teach me how to control my magic and… he was beginning to freak me out.”
    Norway nodded slightly.    
    “Romania freaks a lot of people out…”
    “Wait, is that Soren? No, no, I meant Arthur,” Mary corrected, leaning forward and putting her face in her hands, yawning again before continuing. “No, yeah, Arthur was telling me all this stuff about magic and… I just don’t think I’m ready for that yet.” She sighed and rubbed her eyes. “Oh! But Soren, Soren’s nice. I like him. He’s the friend you told me about, right?”
    “Ja,” Norway replied, gently. She was obviously overly tired because she was babbling, but it wasn’t like Norway could blame her. And her light-hearted commentary was not only endearing, but distracting, which was what Norway need at the moment: a distraction.
    He would figure out how to cope with what he’d done later.
    She looked at him.
    “He told me that he struggled with his magic when he first got it,” she said, “How was it like when you first got magic, Lukas?”
    “I… I never struggled with it. It’s alvays been part of me, as much as I’ve tried to deny it,” he looked down at his feet, putting his hands on his knees. “But don’t vorry,” he quickly added, glancing at her. “You’ll get the hang of it. Soon it’ll be old hat.”
    She was quiet, studying him, and Lukas held his breath.
    “You don’t like magic?” she said, but it was more like a statement than a question. “Why?” He didn’t respond.
    She turned herself further in his direction.
    “What’s your story, Lukas?” she asked. “Your real story?”
    “It’s long,” he stated, staring at his hands, “Thousands of years long.”
    “I know,” Mary said, “And I have exactly eleven hours until my flight. You could tell me at least a few centuries of your history until then. Did you live during the Viking Age?”
    Norway took a deep breath and closed his eyes.
    “Mary…”
    “I know, I know… you survive by forgetting,” she whispered. “I understand. And the past is the past, so…” she sighed. “Maybe it’s best that I—“
    “Nei, nei, I… I don’t vant to hide anything from you. Not anymore. You… you deserve to know,” he interrupted, hesitantly, “It’s just… are you sure you vant to?”
    “If you’re sure you’re okay with telling me,” she said.
    He took a deep breath.
    “O-okay…”
    She scooted closer to him and leaned her head against his shoulder.
    “Don’t forget to tell me the good as well as the bad,” she murmured.
    The good. The good… He sighed as he recalled his early memories. There must be good.
    He reached over and fingered the end of her skirt.