The Departure

"Bye dad, I love you! I'll see you in December, don't come before that!" Madelyn said as she walked away from her father and step-mother at Thurgood Marshall International Airport in Baltimore.

"Promise me you'll be safe." Charles said. Charles Taylor is Madelyn's father. He is a cardiologist born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland. Charles and Abigail are both doctors, they both inspired Madelyn to become a surgeon. Abigail Taylor is an OB/GYN, she is Madelyn's stepmother. Madelyn never met her mother, as she died during childbirth.

"I promise." says Madelyn, as she disappears behind the airport gates.

"I'm going to Seattle." Madelyn enthuses in her mind. Moving to Seattle and doing her surgical residency has been Madelyn's lifelong dream. Madelyn had a rough childhood, she came into this world without a mother, her father was depressed for a lot of her childhood, and she had to adjust to a new step-mother when she was 8. She loves Abby though, she's like the mother she never had. Madelyn is about to board the plane when she hears a voice.

"MADDIE!!" the unknown voice yells. Madelyn turns around and sees April Kepner running down the terminal.

"April? What are you doing here? I thought you left yesterday!" Madelyn questions. April Kepner is Madelyn's lifelong best friend. They became best friends in the 4th grade, and have stuck together since. April got a job at the same hospital as Madelyn did, and like Madelyn, April is a surgeon.

"I didn't leave because I figured the flight would be so much more fun if we were on it together." April replies, while out of breath.

"Well, you were right. This is going to be amazing." Madelyn states. Side by side, they board the plane.