Chapter 4.2

"Looks bad, huh," the man said, looking straight at Wren once more.

Wren nearly looked at the wound again but kept his eyes firmly fixed on the man's face. He knew he would start throwing up again, if he looked.

With what looked like a huge effort the man pushed himself up onto his elbows and rasped, "Now listen carefully. Check the dead man over there for his spark."

Wren looked puzzled as he glanced over at the man with the broken neck.

The man's eyes narrowed, "Go and check," he repeated, "It will be yellowish."

Not really sure what he was doing, Wren crawled the few paces over to where the other man lay. This man actually looked in better condition than the man who was alive, apart from his broken neck and the fact he was dead.

Acutely aware that the living man was still staring at him, Wren poked in and around the man's cape but saw nothing yellow. He turned and shrugged to indicate as much.

"OK. It's returned home," the man muttered to himself. "Take my ring," he then said to Wren, holding out his hand. A plain ring on his middle finger.

Wren didn't move.

"Take it!" the man said more forcefully, as he struggled to pull the ring off. Eventually, he stuck his middle finger in his mouth and pulled the ring off with his teeth and spat it out towards Wren. "Take it."

Wren just nodded not wanting to distress the man any further and put the ring in his pocket.

"Good. And take the other man's cape too. It's cold where you will be going."

Wren nodded again, but didn't move. He was starting to have a very bad feeling about this whole situation, beyond the obvious fact he had just found two dead, or nearly dead, people lying on the ground.

A spasm started to wrack the dying man's body. For he was surely dying. He shivered uncontrollably for what seemed a very long time. The veins and sinews on his body standing out like they were trying to escape from under his skin. His eyes bulged, too. Pain was written into every part of his body and Wren thought that this was it for the man, but somehow when the spasm was over, the man was still alive and wearily opened his eyes.

"You must do what I say," the man said. "The dead man over there is part of a group trying to kill me. They haven't quite succeeded yet but there are three more on the way and they will finish the job soon. They want my spark. You must not let them get it."

The man's eyes narrowed and stared right at Wren. "You must take my spark east into the mountains. Find the Cavers. Find Finion."

The man was going to say more but it seemed he needed all his effort to suppress another spasm from shaking his body. Taking a deep breath and seemingly back in control, he said, "There is one more thing you need to do for me."

Wren hadn't agreed to do anything yet, let alone one more thing. But he just sat quietly and let the man continue.

"Take this dagger."

Wren looked at the thin blade that appeared in the man's good hand. He didn't like where this was going again but found himself listening and leaning forward to take the dagger.

"And," the man said, forcing the air out of his lungs, "Plunge it into my heart."

That was the last straw. Wren pulled back his hand and backed away from the man shaking his head. "I'm not killing anyone," he said, "I want to help."

"Fool," The man weased with real venom in his voice. "Look at me, I'm dying. You cannot save me. But you can help me."

The man locked his gaze on Wren again. "Take the dagger and plunge it in my heart." The man held Wren's gaze for what seemed ages before adding, "I don't have the strength."