Chapter 32.2

Wren and Quizi stayed for three more days. Wren wanted to be sure the boy made a full recovery which he did and used the time almost exclusively to practice with the spear. He just healed away the blisters on the palms of his hands, the aches in his body, the strains in his muscles. He didn’t have to think about anything when he practiced so he just practiced.

During a pause in his practice the Chief came over to join him. “You are looking more dangerous with that spear every day.”

“A mere shadow of the person who taught me,” responded Wren.

“Don’t be too harsh on yourself. Patience.” The Chief said

Wren smiled. “I will need a lot of patience. I actually cut my own leg yesterday.”

“I know,” the Chief said. “Many of the clan were laughing about this around the fire last night.”

Wren frowned. “I was hoping no-one noticed.”

“Quizi told everyone.” The Chief explained. “She was crying with laughter when she told the story.”

“Seriously,” Wren said. “I need to talk to her.”

The Chief smiled. “You are lucky to call that one, friend.”

That was the understatement of the year, thought Wren. Then he added, “But the truth is, right now, your young son could beat me easily in a fight, very easily. And he is only a child.”

The Chief replied in all seriousness, “Don’t judge yourself against my son. He is the son of a great warrior. So he is naturally very strong and talented.”

Wren smiled inwardly to himself. The humility he heard from the Chief when they first met seemingly a distant memory.

“And he is one you can call friend, too,” the Chief added, “You have some powerful friends, Wren.”

Wren couldn’t disagree. He himself however was about as powerful as a squirrel.

Pushing the negative thought aside, Wren said, “It is time for me to continue my journey. I will start heading towards the pass you told me of tomorrow.’

The chief nodded. “We all have our paths to follow.”

Wren smiled and said with a hint of nostalgia in his voice, “You remind me of someone I know. I think you would like him,” the image of Master Dirs appearing in his mind.

He then wondered what his old teacher would make of him practicing with a spear every hour of every day.

The Chief then looked at him seriously and said. “There are many who would go with you should you wish it. They sense something about you as do I. A sense of destiny.”

“Thank you,” said Wren, “But the only thing following me around at the moment is death. I already feel responsible for the death of one of your clan. I do not wish to be the cause of any further loss.”

The chief looked at him. “Neels made his own choices. He would laugh at you for suggesting his death was anything other than his own choice. But one thing you can claim responsibility for, is the life of my boy. This was you.”

“Thank you.” Wren said again, “But I think I have to decline any offers of help. I think this is something myself and Quizi need to do alone.”

“Of course,” replied the chief. And that was it

There were no protracted goodbye's the following morning. The Chief’s son came to see off Wren and Quizi and wish them well, but the rest of camp just went about their regular business. And so with a bright clear sky and the sun rising on the horizon they set off towards the pass.

There was a crisp frost on the ground that gave everything a beautiful ethereal look in the early morning sun. Wren wasn’t one for appreciating landscapes and the like, but the sight that met his eyes now was truly beautiful.

Wren and Quizi were well stocked with food and provisions for their journey. Wren also carried his spear with a certain level of authority now. It was definitely more than a pointy stick.

Wren had also thought a lot about the wizard in the cave, over the last week. Why would a wizard in a cave, in the middle of nowhere, know his name? Know he was coming this way and set a trap for him? He was just a boy who liked to go jogging. What threat was he to anyone?

Despite thinking on this a lot he hadn’t been able to come up with any answers. The threat from the Seekers he understood but this new threat was beyond him. He wondered if they were linked, but didn’t think so. The idea of the Seekers working in cohorts with the Kolle just seemed ridiculous.

While these thoughts buzzed around Wren’s head continuously, Quizi just seemed to shrug them off. When he had asked her opinion about the events in the cave, she had just shrugged her shoulders and changed the subject.

As they walked out of the camp together Wren thought he might try one more time. “How do you think the wizard knew my name?” he asked.

“Again.” Quizi said, a look of exasperation on her face. “Why do you keep worrying about something that happened a week ago?”

”Because it could happen again.” Wren said.

But this didn’t help. Quizi just looked equally confused and said, “So you are worrying about the future?”

“Yes.” Wren said, slightly exasperated himself.

Quizi patted him on the arm. "So, you are worrying about the past because you are worried about the future.” She said, continuing to pat him gently on the arm, “You worry too much.”

She gave him a sympathetic look, then her eyes opened wide with joy and she said, “Look! Look at this lizard. It’s got yellow legs. Look.”

Quizi was grinning and pointing enthusiastically at a lizard.

Wren turned to look where Quizi was pointing. He couldn’t argue. It was definitely a lizard and it also definitely had yellow legs.

Quizi was looking at him expecting some kind of reaction.

Wren just smiled, what were his worries compared to lizards with yellow legs.