Chapter 26.2

Celie stood outside the main door to the Royal Hall. It was almost time. She was watching the guests file in. Each one announced by the same sound affine from the stadium. She had forgotten his name but his fantastic voice periodically rang out around the Palace.

Each entrant paid their respect to Celie as they entered and offered some benign platitudes like, “Good show,” or, “I enjoyed your performance the other day,” as if she had been a circus entertainer, rather than having killed a man and seriously maimed another.

She was grateful that the Y’Kara Duke and Duchess had foregone the opportunity to congratulate her. What would she say to the parents of the boy she had just killed. However, she had no such luck with the Duke and Duchess of Wendolyn. They both wandered over to her. Celie instinctively was on guard, ready to move if they suddenly tried something.

But they just offered the same unemotional comments as the other guests.

“I thought your display was quite the exhibition,” the Duke said.

Celie thought, what part did you like best, the part where I shot your son four times or the bit where I knocked him unconscious.

But her tone was polite and respectful, “May I ask after the condition of Mill?” 

The Duke turned away, implying clearly no you may not, but the Duchess squeezed her arm lightly saying, “He is doing well. We expect him to make a full recovery.”

The Duchess’s eyes held Celie’s for a split second, before she too turned and walked away. That was about as much of a thank you, she was going to get for sparing her son’s life. Celie sighed.

She nodded and exchanged brief greetings with a few more nobles who came to meet her before she noticed the Forest Queen and Edge standing before her. She half expected a similar platitude from them in this surreal environment, but the expression of genuine warmth on the Queen’s face, soon dismissed that notion.

The Queen breaking with formality gave her a big hug and squeeze. “You have achieved a great victory and made a great sacrifice for Mabel Forest. My people, and me personally, are truly grateful. There will always be a place for you at the Forest. Celie of Mabel Forest.”

“Thank you,” Celie said, smiling back at the Queen.

“You were reckless and you should have lost,” Edge cut in, with a smile, before adding, “Please come and visit us in the Forest soon. I will be waiting.” There was something in his voice that hinted at possibilities.

But Celie knew better. Nothing was ever going to happen between them. So she just gave a non-committal, “My life is hardly my own anymore but I will do my best to visit.”

The Queen and Prince left to take up their seats at the top table.

Despite the prospect of what the future held, she felt her sister would have been happy. Not at Lerrick’s death, she would have hated that. But her sister would have been pleased with what she had done for Mabel Forest.

Mara’s greatest love was for the creatures of the forests and Celie had just secured their future. And that made Celie have no regrets about the course she had taken. Whatever happened from here on, she felt she had made the right choice. But then she then remembered the look from the dryad affine in the stadium and the doubts began.

Suddenly the lights dimmed and a hush fell over the assembled nobles. The dark and quiet continued for a few seconds, before a bright spotlight magically illuminated a silver dais. The light then slowly moved across its glittering surface, before settling on a pale yellow orb, balanced delicately on a slender thin mount.