Chapter 38.1

“Hello Wren,” Tiel said, pausing just inside the entrance.

Tiel looked around the cavern, noticing he and his companions were not alone with the boy and girl. There were flickers of movement all around the cavern in the recesses above his head. The movement hadn’t gone unnoticed by the other three Seekers either.

Dismissing these distractions, Tiel focussed on what really mattered. “Wren, the game is up. Come quietly and I promise you and the girl a quick and painless death.”

Tiel glanced at the girl lying on the floor and wondered if she wasn’t dead already.

Wren’s anger at the watchers in the cavern transferred itself immediately onto the four murderers standing across the cavern from him.

“Don’t come any closer,” Wren hissed.

“Why so?” Tiel calmly replied, deliberately taking an obvious step nearer.

“Stop!” screamed Wren, “Or I will jump.”

Wren saw a small flash of fear in Tiel’s eyes and knew he had hit on something. “There is lava at the bottom of this rift,” he said, “Good luck getting my spark out of that.”

He then took a step back towards the edge to emphasise his seriousness.

Tiel hesitated and stopped. His teeth grinding against each other in frustration. He could see the boy was unhinged and genuinely distraught right now. And capable of anything.

Taking a deep breath and calming himself, Tiel said, “Very well, Wren. I will stop.” And he did just that.

After a short pause Tiel continued, “Now you come away from the hole.”

Wren did the opposite. He took a step back so his heels were almost over the edge. He spread his arms wide as if he was going to fall backwards.

“Now,” said Wren. “You will do exactly as I say or I will simply fall backwards.” Tiel narrowed his eyes and stared at Wren but there was nothing he could do. 

“Which one of you is the Gardener,” said Wren.

Alona flinched.

Wren noticed and looked at her. “Alona, I believe?” He said.

Alona nodded. She was not ready for this. All she could see in her mind was the image of the Old One as clear as day spreading its leaves in protection of Wren.

Alona,” Wren said clearly, “This is what is going to happen. You are going to walk forward by yourself and cure the girl lying on the floor. She has been afflicted by some hideous poison given to her by one of the monsters beside you.”

Wren snarled as he spoke and stared at Celie with real intensity in his eyes. Clearly aware she was the cause of Quizi’s current condition.

Celie met Wren’s gaze for a couple of seconds, but found herself looking away quickly. There was a truth in the boy’s eyes that she couldn’t match.

“Alona,” Wren shouted. “Cure her now!” A hint of hysteria creeping into his voice.

Alona stood frozen on the spot. She didn’t know what to do, as indecision wracked her body.

“For the sake of the Old One and everything the Gardens holds dear,” Wren screamed, “Cure her!”

Alona turned to Tiel, her own emotions a wreck. Tears were running down her cheeks now. “Please,” she pleaded.

Tiel found himself grinding his teeth again. He just wanted to blast the boy into oblivion. Blast him into a million pieces. But he knew Marsh coveted the enduro spark above all else, so instead, he found himself reaching into his pack and handing a small vial of antidote to Alona.