Chapter 36.2

Alona tried hard to hide her distress when Tiel told her about the closeness of their prey in the morning, but Tiel’s knowing look, told her she had failed.

There hadn’t been enough time, she thought. She had seen signs of encouragement back at the previous town but she needed more time. But now that they were only a day behind Wren and Tiel could smell blood. She could see it in his eyes. He was hunting now and wanted the kill quickly. There just wasn’t enough time to change anything.

Tiel stared straight at Alona. “Is there something you want to tell me?” he said, his look and tone very cold. “If there is something you have to say, now would be the time?”

Bolo and Celie both looked at Alona, too.

Alona took a deep breath. “Tiel, please don’t do this,” she said trying to keep her composure. “I have never asked anything of you in my years as a Seeker, but I am asking you now. Please don’t kill the boy. It will be a mistake.”

Tiel looked at Alona coldly. “I expected this from her,” pointing at Celie, “But I thought you were past all this. I thought you understood what we were. Understood and accepted what we did.”

Alona had tears in her eyes but carried on. “You misunderstand. This is not about me. I accepted what I am, years ago. I don’t like it. In fact, I hate it. But I accept it and bear the pain.”

She wiped her eyes and looked directly at Tiel, “This is not about me. It’s about the boy. You must not kill him.”

Continuing to meet Tiel’s stare as squarely as she could, she said, “Back in the Gardens, I was shown an image by the Old One and told to protect the boy.” The image of the Old One cradling Wren in its branches, still very clear in her mind.

Alona could feel the passion rising in her voice as she said, “I believe fully in the truth of this image. Tiel, you must not kill the boy. For all our sakes.”

Tiel just continued to stare. Alona was not even sure if he had heard her. He certainly gave no outward sign of having done so.

They were both still staring at each other when Tiel said, “Are you going to try and stop me?” making no attempt to hide the threat clear in his tone.

Alona tried to continue to meet Tiel’s stare but found herself lowering her eyes and looking at the floor. In a quieter voice she said, “No, I won’t.”

In that instant she knew she had failed. Failed the Old One. Failed the Gardens. Failed everyone. She dropped to her knees, head in her hands, tears falling down her cheeks. Never had Alona felt so wretched. Never had she hated her own cowardice quite so much.

Tiel simply shook his head and said, “This is all so very disappointing.”

With that he opened the door and headed out down the trail after the boy.

Celie helped Alona to her feet and they both followed Bolo out of the hut.

...

Later in the day, they passed where the boy and girl had stopped. They had cleared away a space under the lee of a large rock. It gave their resting place away very easily. They were clearly not aware they were being followed or they would have made more of an effort to cover their tracks.

Seeing the camp, Tiel made the decision to keep going through the night, only stopping for a couple of hours rest just before dawn. He wanted to catch the pair during the next day. It was a risk. At the rate they were going Tiel guessed they would be able to see the boy and girl around midday but his group would be tired from travelling all night. Whereas his prey would be well rested. But Tiel wanted this business finished and done and was willing to take the risk of being a little tired.