Chapter 35.1

“Dreyma,” Marsh whispered to himself. He knew exactly what this was. After all, he had been preparing for it for nearly two hundred years. You’d think two hundred years would be enough time to prepare for something. Marsh wasn’t even close to being ready.

But his conversation with Tiel had confirmed he had been right to move. He had left the Capital well over two weeks ago and was passing very close to the border of Mabel Forest now. Officially, of course, he was on his way to Fahndal to resolve a dispute that had suddenly arisen between two Houses. But Marsh’s attention was fully focussed on Mabel Forest.

The problem was, he couldn't just invite himself there, protocol dictated otherwise. He would need a formal invite from Kaliron, to enter the Queen’s homeland. So, Marsh made his way steadily westwards towards Fahndal hoping his proximity to the Forest would precipitate an invite. If the invite didn’t materialise, Marsh was prepared to rewrite protocol, but he was still hopeful it wouldn’t come to that.

Despite the short notice, Marsh hadn’t travelled lightly. He never did. He had a small army of guards and affines along with him. He hadn’t wanted to leave Viri behind but Viri was the only one he trusted to take care of business. So Viri had had to stay.

But Gel and all his other aids were travelling with him. So there were about thirty people in all riding or walking along the track around the outskirts of Mabel Forest. Only Marsh and Gel knew the precise number of people though, as a few stealth affines were with them, going unnoticed by most in the main party.

Gel, popped up quietly next to Marsh. “There is a contingent of riders approaching from Mabel Forest,” he said quietly, “They should be with us within the hour.”

At last, Marsh thought. He then turned his attention to exactly what Gel had said, “Contingent?” he repeated.

“I saw five,” Gel said. The implication being there were likely more he didn’t see.

Marsh hoped this was what he had been waiting for.

...

As the Foresters reigned in before Marsh, he noticed it was Edge, the Prince himself, who headed up the little group. An honour indeed, and a hopeful sign.

Speaking with a regal tone and a certain level of formality, Edge wasted no time in saying, “Duke Dwain, welcome to Mabel Forest. You are hereby invited to attend a dinner in the Heart of the Forest, at the request of Queen Kaliron.”

Marsh smiled and graciously accepted, noting nothing was said about the vaults, but this was just a first step.

As was customary, Marsh selected four members of his own entourage along with himself to accompany the Prince back to the heart of Mabel Forest. The fact, the Queen had only sent five riders to meet him, meant she had not wanted Marsh’s whole group to come, for whatever reason. So, Marsh matched the Prince's numbers, at least on the surface. Having the same number of people on both sides was a basic tenant of diplomacy. Those not accompanying him would continue on to Fahndal as originally planned.

Edge chatted amiably to Marsh as they rode. Playing the role of host, but as they got closer to his home, Marsh could sense an unease about the Prince. He exuded an air of apprehension, mixed with a good degree of frustration. Something was clearly on the young Prince’s mind.

Eventually, Edge’s impatience got the better of him and he made eye contact with his second, who slowed his horse slightly, and fell back leaving Marsh and Edge space up ahead to talk in private.

Edge glanced at Marsh and said, “I would talk to you alone if that is acceptable. Just the two of us.”

Marsh understood his meaning and said quietly, “Gel.”

The little sneak appeared from the side of the track and nodded his head at Marsh. “Some privacy for a time please,” Marsh said.

Marsh then raised his eyebrows at Edge.

“Gibson,” Edge said. And the little Sneak appeared from the other side of the track and nodded at the Prince. “I wish to speak with the Duke alone. Please see we are afforded the necessary privacy.”

Marsh noticed the two Sneaks exchange glances. What they thought of each other he had no idea. They then disappeared, as quietly as they had arrived.

When they were both gone from sight, Edge turned to Marsh, "I apologise for the secretive nature of this but I have learnt to be very careful recently.”

“We can never be too careful,” Marsh simply replied.

“The Queen and by extension the Forest has a problem.” Edge said bluntly. “While the Queen was away in the Capital, things changed in Mabel Forest.”

Marsh raised his eyebrows.

“Perhaps you have heard of the Temple of Aguilar,” Edge continued.

Marsh’s expression didn’t change and he kept his surprise well hidden. "Yes, I am familiar with this temple. Why?”

“In the Queen’s absence, the Temple has gained a foothold in the Forest. Nothing too large, but their sudden appearance is concerning.”

“Worshiping different Celestials,” Edge continued, “Has been part of our history as much as any other culture. Naturally, most, myself included, tend to look no further than the Dryads when considering the Celestial. But this has never been exclusively the case. So what I am trying to say is that Foresters worshipping at the Temple of Aguilar shouldn’t be all that odd.”

“But …” Marsh helped.

"But the Temple of Aguilar has gained a few very high profile recruits recently, not least one of the High Lords. Such sudden conversions are unprecedented. And a cause for concern. When my mother let it be known she wished for you to be allowed access to the vaults, this new Aguilar High Lord opposed her vehemently, denouncing her for suggesting the vaults be ‘desecrated’, I think that was his word, by an outsider. He even went as far as to call her actions traitorous.”

“Hmmm,” Marsh went.

“Fear of the outside is ingrained into my people's conscience and so it doesn’t take much to get them riled up when it comes to foreigners,” Edge said and then after looking at Marsh, added, “Especially you.”

Marsh narrowed his eyes and stared at Edge “Are you saying I will not be allowed to see the vaults?” There was more than just a hint of a threat in his voice.

Edge did well to keep his composure and replied, “My mother gave you her word. You would do well to not question her honour.”

Marsh smiled inwardly to himself. He never had but sometimes you needed to show you mean business.

Edge continued. “I have come here on my Mother’s bequest to explain to you some of the difficulties she faces and make you aware of the problems in getting you access to the vaults. Simply put, an open invitation is impossible. That, I hope I have made clear to you. The High Lords would not allow it and to force the issue would likely cost my Mother dear.”

Edge didn’t expand on exactly what it would cost her. Instead Edge said, “That means the only other way is a slightly more clandestine approach. My mother can get you into the vaults but it must remain secret.”

Edge held Marsh’s gaze for a second, as if to impress on him the importance of his next comment. “Please do not mention the vaults again until you have had a chance to speak to my mother in private.”

Marsh nodded. “I understand. But please understand, too. I must see what is in the vaults. If it were not important, I would not be here and ask such a thing of your mother.”

Edge nodded in return to Marsh. Edge then figited a little and knew he shouldn’t ask the next question but he couldn’t help himself.

”May I ask what you are looking for in the archives?” he said.

Marsh grinned a big broad grin, “Of course you may ask,” he said, “But don’t expect an answer. My search is my business.” Marsh looked at Edge in a way that told the young Prince to leave it there.

Edge left it there.